Firewall?

BASHERS33

Solid State Member
Does having a firewall enabled greatly decrease internet speed? I'm just curious whether I even need to keep it enabled on this new computer. I didn't use one on my other computer and AFAIK nothing bad happened.

You firewall should have no adverse affects on your internet speeds at all. Leave it on, it's better safe than sorry.

I guess. As far as being smart, I usually was using spybot which would alert me when surfing if something was trying to add something. And I "think" I am smart about how I surf, but who knows. I sometimes do things without thinking them out. Another example of me making rash decisions is that I bought this computer instead of keeping my old one which seems as fast as this new one so far. I was panicky it was about to die though and had already replaced the power supply, but I probably should have bought a new hard drive and paid much less than this. Now I go back and forth day after day on whether to return this computer I spent so long putting my stuff on. lol

Man this security software is just flat a pain. As stated in my other thread it messed up javascript in IE due to a phishing filter in mcafee. Now my IM sessions were slow with my IMs hanging before sending, so I figure it's the "scan IMs" setting in mcafee. I am going to end up turning everything off one step at a time at this rate! Now it makes me wonder if the firewall is causing an issue too. Sigh.

I got this computer to be faster, not to be slower than my old one due to scans. lol Although I have heard of people getting IM viruses before.

edit: wow, now after disabling that it still was hanging. If I don't figure all of this out then I paid $900 for a worse setup than my old computer. This is getting ridiculous. I know I should send it back, but it would be much easier to keep it and I THOUGHT it would end up being much better.

ok this mcafee software is starting to be such a pain I may disable it totally like I did on my old computer. Now I just noticed videos didn't have sound on youtube and it's because mcafee was blocking all IE addons! And now I just changed the setting to prompt me and it never prompted me and just started working.

On espn's site when I try to sign in with the menu at the top right the submit button doesn't work! What you want to bet that is mcafee's fault also? And I'm sure it;'s somehow still the reason trillian slows down even with IM scanning off. It's messing up everything in browsers or the computer as a whole it seems!

McAfee and Norton are the two worst, high-advertised consumer A/Vs known to man IMHO. Uninstall it and install Avast or AVG--I prefer Avast. I'll never pay for an A/V as long as Avast is still around.

Someone on another site said uninstall mcafee and use something else also, but I know when i disabled everything it still didn't solve my problems, so I dunno if it will even help anything. My luck is then I would get get some virus right after it.

Also I am starting to wonder why people even get computers with good specs anymore. I feel barely any difference going from a single 3.0 processor to core 2 duo 3.0 and from 2gb ram to 4gb. Feels almost the same and I feel I wasted $900 yet at the same time I am tempted not tos end it back after I already put everything on it.

Back
Top Bottom