Linux clean install?

SecureMe

Baseband Member
OK my brothers computer is a little messed up and needs to repair it using the repair console. Only problem is that he has a bootleg copy of xp an does not have his boot disc. So rather than do it illegally id like to know if its possible to do a clean install of linux? Wipe his drive then install linux as his OS?

....Are you seriously asking this question? Of course you can... the only problem is that your brother would have to use linux... Just download the iso from some distro site/torrent, make your boot disk, keep the disk in the drive, restart the computer... If it doesn't automatically boot the Linux installation, then you may have to set your cmos to boot from the CD before the hard drive....

....Are you seriously asking this question? Of course you can... the only problem is that your brother would have to use linux... Just download the iso from some distro site/torrent, make your boot disk, keep the disk in the drive, restart the computer... If it doesn't automatically boot the Linux installation, then you may have to set your cmos to boot from the CD before the hard drive....

yea thanks for the response, but i would use a little less deuche bag sarcasm in your responses. Also dont talk to people like their idiots. Have a nice day.

Actually it wasn't sarcasm... it was curiosity... I wasn't trying to talk to you like you were an idiot... I was just saying all that not sure if you knew what you were doing, cause if you did know what you were doing you wouldn't have asked that question... Also I say it in curiosity, cause if you are willing to go to linux, but don't know anything about it, I would wonder how it is going to work for you...

It's acutally quite easy.

I'm going to assume you want to use Ubuntu as it's probably the most popular

It's available here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Boot off of the disk and it will bring you into a working OS. From there, you can use it's disk partition manager (which happens to be G-Parted) and delete the xp partition so linux can install properly. Then double click the Icon on the desktop to install and follow the rest of the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom