FAST, Cheap, External Hard Drive?

Herpderp23

Baseband Member
I don't exactly know a lot when it comes to External Hard drives, thus the reason I've come here for some good advice! I need something that is below the price of $140 and is fast with 700+ GBs. From what I've read, there are Firewire, Ethernet, and USB External HDs. Which connection is the fastest for an external HD? And any other information I might need to know about External HDs would be very appreciated. Thanks! =D

I'm sure its nice, but is it fast? Thats really my main concern, which I should have mentioned above more clearly, especially if I"m throwing 10gigs at a time on the thing lol. I need to know what connection is the fastest for external HDs. =D thanks

Thats nice, it has E-SATA i see. I hear those are really fast? Does that connect to your mobo or main HD on the comp? I''m sure I can deal with it being white, even though all my electronics are black lol.

Btw, If I kept something like an external HD hooked up, would it slow my computer down in anyway? Like if I'm gaming or just doing anything in general on my comp?

I believe your MOBO, that is where the sata connectors are

If you were transferring data while it was connected then it would slow you down. If it was just connected and not doing anything I dont see it being a problem

I forgot to include that if you do not have an eSATA port you will need to upgrade with a eSATA Host Bus Adapter some are as cheap as 15$

I think out of the 3 interfaces the Gigabit LAN network interface would be the fastest interface followed by the Firewire then USB.

There's a few externals on Newegg that have Gigabit LAN network interface if this would be beneficial.

And an external hooked up to your computer won't slow it down.

Do you need an external drive?

Yah I really need one. You can play stuff off of it too correct? Like a video or song? I like to keep lots of music/videos/images, especially when I like to edit things. I don't like it piling up on my main drive..its 300gigs and already used half of it even though I reformated the other day. I just want my games/programs I use a lot on my main HD, so it doesn't get all cluttered up with crap and help keep it clean and fast for gaming. Built this comp 2 weeks ago, so I know its good to go with the eSATA.

Back
Top Bottom