Need Help with Overclocking/GPU Temps!! Few Beginner Questions :)

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone, I have a 7600go mobile card in my laptop.

Here is the story... HP has replaced the board (MOBO + GPU) 2 times now- both times it died of the same symptoms, GPU overheating and making the graphics stop working completely.

They tell me that this part is definitely NOT defective, but I don't trust them. I have read from many other users in the same boat as me that HP has been UNDERclocking the GPU to allow the board to last past the 90 day repair warranty.

So a few questions:

1. Best program to check the temps of my GPU? What is a good temp, what is too high?

2. Best program to test out the GPU - not break it, but any graphics card should be able to be stressed without dying. I want to see its limits

3. Is there a program to look at the clockspeed of my GPU? If so, what can I do to check if it is the correct/default one that ships with the 7600go?

Thank you so much!!

1. Best program to check the temps of my GPU? What is a good temp, what is too high?
GPU-Z is a great program, it will also show the current clocks of your card.

2. Best program to test out the GPU - not break it, but any graphics card should be able to be stressed without dying. I want to see its limits
Use ATI tool's fur stress test. It's what I use to test stability when I'm overclocking my card.
3. Is there a program to look at the clockspeed of my GPU? If so, what can I do to check if it is the correct/default one that ships with the 7600go?
GPU-Z can do this as well.

Thank you!! Right now I'm idling out at 74C... Is that not a bit high for a mobile chip?

Thanks again

PS -- its like 50 degrees in my room... so room temp shouldnt be the problem

GPUs can stand very high temps, mobile chips should be even more tolerant. Most desktop GPUs can operate safely all the way up to 100c.

Ok great thank you - one more quick question. Apparently HP has been underclocking GPUs... Is there any way to check what the default clock for a 7600go should be?

Apparently HP has been underclocking GPUs... Is there any way to check what the default clock for a 7600go should be?
Apparently, the 7600GO has a Core clock of: 450MHz, Memory Clock of 800MHz,

Back
Top Bottom