Gin and Laptops

jealousfall

Beta member
I recently spilled gin/coke on my laptop kaypad one night as I was fell asleep in my recliner. When I woke up and realized it I propped my laptop up like a teepee and set it over a towel. Nothing came out. I waited a few days to start it up but it won't boot. Whenever I push the power button the light will turn green and the fan when start up but the fan will only stay on for 2 full seconds and the light only for 4-5 seconds. Now, after taking it all apart I can see the brown gunk on various parts of the circuit board but nothing else. My questions are...
1. What do you feel is the problem lurking inside?
2. Whenever a liquid is spilled on a keypad, what components are likely to be fried 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc?
3. Should I try anything else before I part it out?

P.S. I mixed with coke because I had nothign else.:(

You most probably short circuited your motherboard. See if you have a warranty. The chance your system is fried is likely.

It's an Acer Aspire 5315-2153 that I bought as part as the Wal-Mart secret shopper event. The warranty is gone since I chose not to buy an extended one. I figured since it was so cheap, $375, that if anything went wrong I would part it out.

that sucks man.. fried.. sounds like your mixture contained to much gin causing you to pass out thus spilling your drink. :cool:

You got me...I fell asleep really translates to I passed out. But how can I test to see what fried? Also, where is the best place to sell parts In Your Opinion

Dude, set your drink down before you pass out....LOL

It's most likely dead, but it's worth a try to take it apart and clean it and see if you can get it going again. Or, for $375 toss it and buy a new one.

I know I should part it out but still...Where is the best place that you have parted a computer out?....I want to get the best bang for my buck so I can buy another laptop or at least upgrade my home computer.

When beer spilled on my good modem, it got all messed up and wouldn't work. Tried it again a week or two later, and it worked just the same as it had before. I also spilled part of a two liter bottle of mountain dew in the computer, and nothing happened (I had a hole cut in the side for a window, but no plexi yet). But, as everybody else has said, there's a good chance that the board in your lappy is fried. Sell your parts in the trading post or on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom