P4 Running Hot...Suggestions...

dam p4s run mad hot
i wounder what my old dell runs at... doesn't even have a hsf just a heat sink on top of a heat sink with an air duck going to a big case fan lol
its only like 1.8 ghz tho...
my core 2 quad kinda runs hot to
g0 stepping on stock cooler but reaches 60 at 100% load

Yeah I'm not too worried about it. My GRANDMA will be using it haha...I just wanted to make sure it didn't overheat on her though during normal operation. It's a P4 @ 3.2Ghz, so it's expected to run hot. Oh well...it's a nice, old system though. I just "refreshed" it. It's now got a Foxconn 878 MB, 2GB of OCZ DDR400 RAM, and the P4 of course. Haha...since she does nothing graphically intensive (unless you want to count looking at email attachments :p), I threw an a REALLY old ATI Rage 3D 8MB PCI GPU...hahaha..sad that I even have that! And then just the stock 40GB hard drive, which is plenty enough for her. Also was able to just re-use the optical drive..and I had a 500W PSU lying around that I threw in it. So it's a decent PC that was revamped for about $100.

I thought Pentium chips just ran hot. An after market heatsink should do the trick. Try the Xigmatek HDT S1283 or the Arctic Freezer for a quick and easy fix.

IIRC you're thinking of the pentium Ds, not sure though...

IIRC you're thinking of the pentium Ds, not sure though...

Nah, I think it was P4s actually, but hey, I could be wrong too ;). I think Rohan was right... But, idk about PDs...they may run hot, as well. It's not like P4s are smoking or anything, but they definitely run hot compared to other chips out there.

My old P4 3.0Ghz from my Gateway ran at 35-55C at idle. That was a well ventilated case with the stock heatsink on it.

I have the same CPU in my gaming computer (needs to be upgraded badly!!!) I am using it in a Sagitta case with almost no excess wires. The PSU is shot now but my temps were at about 54'C. I knew it was hot, but i cant do anything about it now.

Have you solved your problem?

If so post your new temps

Sometimes I wish people would read the damn threads. Ugh. Yes, as mentioned like a gazillion years ago, AR solved my problem. It was a MB header issue. Temps are idling at 35-40*C. Thanks for the concern, but you are only like the 9th person who is still trying to help me with a problem that's been fixed...that's why I seem a bit perturbed.

So, with that said:
IF ANYONE READS THIS DANG LINE...the problem has been solved!

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom