Ram question

jon the noob

In Runtime
My ram says PC2 5300 and is DDR2

I ordered some corsair PC2 6400

Will this ram not fit into my MOBO?

I don't know what the PC2 thing is, so...

:x

PC-5300 is DDR2 667 memory while PC-6400 is DDR2 800 memory. If you mix the new with the old the new 800 memory will slowed down to 667mhz. A look at the specifications for the make and model board you have there will show what memory is supported.

Yeah it will fit. PC2 is DDR2, it is just a different way of measuring the speed. Just to be sure thought you could include a link.

As long as it's the same type of memory and has the same pin layout it should be OK. Faster memory will run along side slower memory, but it will also run at the slower memory's timings. It's usually best to match the new memory to your current memory to avoid any problems.

Here's a good read that will help explain how memory works and what all those numbers and letters mean: Corsair Memory Basics!

Unless you end ordering sodimms by mistake 200pin laptop there DDR2 memory is generally 240pin dimms. But not only the same amount of pins but type will have a large effect even more then adding a faster speed.

You'll generally run into problems right away mixing performance/gaming type memory with the typical standard or value memory generally seen on premade brand name systems. Timings and voltage requirements will vary for a start. This is why a look at the make and model board will help here.

Back
Top Bottom