360 hooked up via VGA

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So i hooked up my 360 to my monitor via VGA. I started to play. I set the resolution to 1680x1050, with Expanded reference (I think thats called).
So far, I have tried 2 games (SO:TLH, and GTAIV), and it seems to be jagged.

Now is this because theres no AA?
or is something else thats creating this?

Console games typically run in 720p (sometimes lower), so when you run in 1080p or 1680x1050 in your case, the console is scaling the image up. Some games turn out better than others. CoD4 might look better since it has AA, but it still might be a tid blurry.

Ah, and I'm assuming I cant make the image slightly better?

Ah, and I'm assuming I cant make the image slightly better?

That's the exact same res. i run on my 22" dell. I notice a slight shadow, and it's blurry even though its the optimum res. for my LCD.

Really all i can suggest is giving other res's a shot and seeing what you come up with.. unfortunately with VGA, obviously it isn't digital so interference occurs and blurs things sometimes.

The display still puzzles me to this day as to why it's blurry even at optimum res....

TV and monitor resolutions are different so if you link your Xbox 360 to your monitor it has to scale the image. Like Mike said, it depends on the game.

That's the exact same res. i run on my 22" dell. I notice a slight shadow, and it's blurry even though its the optimum res. for my LCD.

Really all i can suggest is giving other res's a shot and seeing what you come up with.. unfortunately with VGA, obviously it isn't digital so interference occurs and blurs things sometimes.

The display still puzzles me to this day as to why it's blurry even at optimum res....

VGA is a non-issue here provided you aren't using some thin cheap cable.

VGA is a non-issue here provided you aren't using some thin cheap cable.

You're kidding right?

Have you ever seen the difference between the VGA signal and a digital signal from the Xbox 360? Hell, even the difference between the Component HD cable and HDMI is very noticable. :D

Well I've learned to accept it. So I dont mind it now. Though I dont think it was worth $40.

A person said the only reason why i dont get a good display is because my monitor is an Bargain Brand. Oh, well. Good thing I'm not one of those gamers that plays the game for graphics.

You're kidding right?

Have you ever seen the difference between the VGA signal and a digital signal from the Xbox 360? Hell, even the difference between the Component HD cable and HDMI is very noticable. :D

Oh believe me, I know HDMI is the best way of doing things provided you have that option (HDMI on my PS3 looks fantastic compared to the component cables.) I'm just saying that a thin crappy VGA cable is going to be a blurry mess when you compare it to a higher quality cable.

This brings up something puzzling between my TV and my Acer monitor. On my Acer, if I use VGA (my good thick cable), it looks great. If I use DVI, it looks almost exactly the same.. but text seems somehow.. harder to read. They look as though they have outlines or something. It's weird.

On my TV, I use a VGA cable from my PC to it. It's a 40" Samsung TV running at 1920x1080. If I use a DVI to HDMI cable I can connect using HDMI.. but it looks outright disgustingly horrible, and I can't for the life of me find out why. HDMI looks just fine with the PS3....

The screen is all dark and the text is nearly impossible to read (Yes i verified it was running at 1080p).. strange, no?

Well I've learned to accept it. So I dont mind it now. Though I dont think it was worth $40.

A person said the only reason why i dont get a good display is because my monitor is an Bargain Brand. Oh, well. Good thing I'm not one of those gamers that plays the game for graphics.

I doubt it would look any better on a better monitor, it's jaggies, after all. Like I said, if you're running your monitor's native res, then the 360 is doing all the scaling work, not your monitor. You could try setting it to a 16:10 resolution closer to the original native of 720p so that the monitor does the scaling instead, might look a tad better.

This might not apply, but when I forced my Acer to a higher res with the PS3 on it, it was a bit blurry, whereas when I let the Acer do the scaling it looked much better. PS3's built in scaler is so bad.

Back
Top Bottom