Considering an audio upgrade

Cabbs

Golden Master
Currently I'm running a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system connected to my onboard sound.

My dad has a receiver, two bookshelf speakers, and a sub woofer laying around, so I'm considering hooking them up to my computer. I'm sure my onboard sound won't cut it, so my sound card will be upgraded.

The receiver is a Sony STR-DE935, bookshelf speakers are JBL Control 5 Plus', and the sub is a JBL Powerbass PB10.

Do you think it would be worth it to replace my 2.1 system with this hardware?

Here's some pics:

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

You really won't notice a big difference without a proper sound card. Upgrade to something decent and even your 2.1 system will sound better.

The sound card is a given, I'm going to upgrade that no matter what. I just want everyone's input on this, because whether I stick with my 2.1 system or go with the receiver setup is going to affect my choice in sound cards.

I would say to stay with the 2.1 system. Klipsch is a great company. If you really need all of that power, move to the JBL system.

It's sound quality that I'm really going after, the power would be bonus :D

I wanna hear J's input on this since he's into audio too.

Realtek ALC885 for 8CH HD audio CODEC.

There really is no need to upgrade from on-board sound. Not unless your an audiophile.

What you have there is effectively 7.1 channel on board audio and if you have the drivers then you should enjoy great audio with the kit on offer.

Run the on-board audio in 5.1 channel and connect the 5.1 outputs from the motherboard to the SONY receiver.

Looks like I'll have to get converter cables to do that. Looks like another trip to
Fry's.

I'll be honest when I say I can't tell the difference between on-board and dedicated sound cards.

The receiver is a Sony STR-DE935, bookshelf speakers are JBL Control 5 Plus', and the sub is a JBL Powerbass PB10.
I'm amazed to see a JBL Control 5 Plus still being used. Those were produced in the 90's, years ago. Those are primarily used as sound reinforcement and studio speakers. As for the subwoofer, I'm sure it's alright. I've heard there are reliability issues with JBL's consumer subwoofers.

Yeah, we've had the control 5's since I was little. I suppose I'll try hooking it it and seeing how it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom