whs setup help

Hi,

Can you tell us how you have your connection to the server set up currently? If I remember correctly you connect through a browser from your computer to the host computer. Are you trying to connect from inside your network or from outside the network?

Cheers!

i am using a dlink wireless router.(wbr 1310) until i get my eathernet in

i want to be able to go to a friends house and get on my server. i put in the servers ip adress and it come up with service unavable.so i know its there just not able to connect it.

Well firstly, is your internet on a static ip? if not you could always be at risk of the ip changing... Second, you must have your router setup for port 80 redirect... Third, you must have the server also running on port 80, (though I recommend using Apache as your server, or even Samba), then have your page set up... Then at your friends computer, you put the ip in the address bar, and there will be your page...
Now if your only wanting to access the computer remotely... I urge you to use caution... But all you need to do is allow Remote Desktop... From your friends computer enter the ip, username password ect. and there ya go your in...

i can make it to where the computer only uses one 1 ip adress. the port forwareding i can change that on the routher but how do i do that on the server.:confused:

for secuerty the computer will only be on when i am not home.but i can change the ip to only use one ip adress in the network configs.

i try to turn on the website in the windows home server consol settings and it just closes the window.

Well, I think he meant check your IP status with your ISP, making sure they have a more or less static assignment for your public IP address. And, yes, have a static IP assignment for your server on the private side of your network, and make sure and add an exception on your router so it doesn't double assign the address. Verify the port forwarding of port 80 (or 3389 for RDP) to the static IP of the server on your private side IP address (192.168.0.* on dlink if I recall). And finally, make sure you've opened up all the settings on your WHS to allow the remote access, and you should be set.

i think i got it figured out i was useing a wireless connection for the server insted of a eathernet connection.

ok now i have another prolblem. i got my eathernet and i boot my server. when i go to turn on the web site in the settings i acts like it is going to turn it on then it just cuts the page off.

could it be i dont have enouf ram . i have 512 meg i am waiting for my two gigs to come in.

... justinupsm - Just to make sure I am clear as to what you are trying to do... You are trying to set up a server to host a website? or are you just trying to be able to log into your computer remotely?

If you are trying to host a website... Then you need to make sure that the server is listening on port 80 on the ip address 127.0.0.1 (that is the loop back ip, meaning it will listen on what ever ip is assigned to your computer, on port 80)... Also in your router, it is best to assign your computer a static ip, and then on the port forwarding, forward port 80 to your computer.... Now when you start the server, most of the time you won't get anything unless it is not running, then it will pop up with some sort of error... Sometimes you might have to re-configure your firewall to allow incoming requests for port 80... Also in your services, you must make sure the Server service is running otherwise it won't host... Also as Pville said, I was talking more about the ip from your ISP, once you have all that done, all you have to do is put your ip (the ip assigned to your network from your ISP) in a web browser... From there the website will show up... Now if you don't have anything to show up, then nothing will show up... and you will most likely get a 404 error...

If you are just trying to log into your computer remotely, then all you have to do is allow for remote desktop, or a remote service to connect to your computer, and sometimes you might have to set a username and password, otherwise it will be your local computer account...

i just want to log on to my network remotley. i have to real use in running a website at this pont.

Back
Top Bottom