HD Question

Seagate has a slightly better track record in reliability than western digital. Sometimes there are speed differences too, but they are minor, but you can check them up in reviews. Apparently that seagate drive is a single platter hard drive which means it's cheap and reliable and they tend to be quieter and more power efficient.

Personally i would go with the WD caviar Black 500gb as it has 32mb cache and has a 5YR warranty

^ he's not going to notice the difference between 16 and 32

I personally have a wd passport and a seagate internal. I would just get a seagate because I like the name

I have one of each. The Seagate is 2 years old and the WD is about a year old. Both works as advertised.

If all I do is browse the net and watch a movie every once and a while on my PC, what kind of life expectancy could I expect from either one of these drives?

Take your best guess please.

thx

it all depends on how good it was built.

Anyway i have had an old 40 GB Hardrive i replaced on a compaq for like 4 years. it lasted that long and it was a Seagate. It kinda broke becuase of my PSU if you want to count that

life expectancy is not really an "issue" for hard drives. If they are quality drives, they should last a pretty long time. i have a 11 year old computer....so if 11 year old technology can last 11 years....yea...a pretty long time.

I know they can't last forever, but by the time they fail you'll probably need a larger one.

If all I do is browse the net and watch a movie every once and a while on my PC, what kind of life expectancy could I expect from either one of these drives?

Take your best guess please.

thx

Many, many years. I used to have an old Maxtor drive that was originally purchased new in 1998 that's still going strong to this day.

Nope, it was a bit larger. It was a Maxtor DiamondMax 2880 11.52GB ATA/33. It was one of the top drives of it's time. It also offered quite a bit of storage space.

Back
Top Bottom