Tranny rebuild?

slayer6466

Baseband Member
I have a friend of mine that had a th400 laying around and said i could have it.well me and a friend went to pick it up and when we did the oil started to pour out.so we let it pour and noticed that there was water in the oil so my friend try ed turning the the input shaft and it did but it was hard.You thinks this may be a possible rebuild considering it has water in the oil.My dads mechanic says to take off the oil pan and see the inside.

Let it dry out? I know youre supposed to do that when you flood the engine, but thats gas, idk about awater.

Just start with taking off the pan, seeing what the damage is.. go from there. If the input shaft is seized, it's going to be a pain in the ass to rebuild.

as said, you won't know till you open it up.

normally the oil will float on the water, so you may find that there was just a bit of water at the bottom and that might not really be a problem...

I think it's one of those things where you're going to have to take it appart to see if it's even worth taking apart to fix.

I have a friend of mine that had a th400 laying around and said i could have it.well me and a friend went to pick it up and when we did the oil started to pour out.so we let it pour and noticed that there was water in the oil so my friend try ed turning the the input shaft and it did but it was hard.You thinks this may be a possible rebuild considering it has water in the oil.My dads mechanic says to take off the oil pan and see the inside.
First of all, my question is, how was the oil getting out of the transmission and was it sitting outside? Do you know if it's been rebuilt at all? That transmission is from the late 60's so it probably could use a rebuild anyway.

heh...I had to look again at the title when I first saw this :D

Even if there has been water inside, chances are it would be surface rust or damaged bearings - many gears have a thin layer of graphite-like lubricant that is forced into the metal's grain by the high pressure of the teeth meshing.

If it is rust that has caused some parts to seize, using some emery strip to get it off will normally return the shaft surfaces to running condition.

3 Speed Auto. 450 ft. lbs. of input torque.

This is a heavy duty auto box.

Chances are if it's been lying around for a while then it might have water in the oil.

Where was the oil leaking from? The sump cover? The filler tube?

yeah i took off the oil pan and every thing looked clean.until i began to turn over the output shaft and half of the shaft was brown in color.It didnt look that bad but still i cant see all the damage that was done.My mechanic said that the only way well know that if its good it hooking it up to an engine and running it.As for where it was,it was behind a old ford pickup in a wrecking yard.It was covered in junk metal and once we pulled it out it began leaking from the oil filler hole where the tube goes..the guy who gave it to me told me it worked when he pulled a couple months go and water must of got in after a few days of heavy rains here.

Ok. The half brown output shaft is where it's been sitting above oil. So that part of the shaft was exposed to the elements, air/water. The rest of the shaft would've been sitting in oil.

It's good that it wasn't leaking from a seal or the torque converter.

Do as suggested.

Hook it up to an engine. Fill it up. And turn her over.

If it sounds good then go for a hard run to warm her up. Make sure the shifts are positive and not slushy or slow. When the oil is hot drain the tranny to clear any crap thats in it - any gunk will come out with the hot oil rather than cold. Then refill with fresh oil and your good to go.

Only strip the tranny if you really need to.

Back
Top Bottom