Lost in the world of upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Core 2 Quad line are actually two Core 2 Duo processors on a single die. Even they aren't a true quad like the Phenom x4 or the i7 series, they are fantastic processors. The Q6600 will tear through games and dominate in multitasking. Many games are beginning to utilize 4 cores. The dual core dynasty is beginning to fall. It would be better to spend an extra $5-$25 and get something that will last you for the next series of Tomb Raider games. I went above and beyond my budget just so I wouldn't have to upgrade my computer in the next few months to years. You're not going to see a huge amount of difference between the quad and dual in gaming. There will be a significant advantage to the dual because that is how games are programmed. My Q6600 does better in Crysis than my friend's dual core. I can also play GTA IV way better than he can. Far Cry 2 runs like silk on my machine. It's a slow progression, but it is happening. Spend a few bucks now and save yourself $200 later.

The Core 2 Quad line are actually two Core 2 Duo processors on a single die. Even they aren't a true quad like the Phenom x4 or the i7 series, they are fantastic processors. The Q6600 will tear through games and dominate in multitasking. Many games are beginning to utilize 4 cores. The dual core dynasty is beginning to fall. It would be better to spend an extra $5-$25 and get something that will last you for the next series of Tomb Raider games. I went above and beyond my budget just so I wouldn't have to upgrade my computer in the next few months to years. You're not going to see a huge amount of difference between the quad and dual in gaming. There will be a significant advantage to the dual because that is how games are programmed. My Q6600 does better in Crysis than my friend's dual core. I can also play GTA IV way better than he can. Far Cry 2 runs like silk on my machine. It's a slow progression, but it is happening. Spend a few bucks now and save yourself $200 later.

ok but I dont play any of those games that you mentioned, and prolly never will. And unfortunately for me I am on a budget and that sucks. so in the end I will have to get what I can afford. whether or not I go quad or dual core.

I didn't read that part about her wanting a Gigabyte, that's one smart girl, Gigabyte FTW...!!!

seriously, ECS and PC Chips are not the greatest brands of motherboards, I would go with Gigabyte or ASUS, they make great, cheap boards or really expensive high end boards, whichever you prefer, and just because ECS is the 4th largest manufacturer of mobos doesn't really mean much, there's a reason they always get bundled with great processors at Fry's combo sales, they are cheap boards that no real enthusiast will buy unless it comes with a great deal on a cpu (E8500, Q6600, etc.), they are also not the best overclockers...

I haven't read all the posts here, but the one piece of advice I'll give is that the best bang for the buck video card out right now seems to be the 4830, which can be had for less than $100 in most cases and will overclock to near 4850 speeds...

I say you pick this up quick. The processor is on sale.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.161491

Add this RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

You could also get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130395

The GPU puts you a few bucks over. But, it has free shipping and a mail in rebate. That should do you well.

+1 for this deal, it will play most games very well, though you really should consider sweet talking your boyfriend into adding to your budget and getting the 4830 or this 9600GT...

the 9600GT is open box, but that just means that you'll have to download the drivers yourself because the driver CD and other accessories probably won't be included, the 9600GT eats the 9500GT for lunch and that's a very good price on it...

The reason, like I mentioned before, that I included the ECS in my parts list for her was because of her budget. She can go with whatever she can afford. There are a million options, and we've all given you great options to choose from.

+1 for this deal, it will play most games very well, though you really should consider sweet talking your boyfriend into adding to your budget and getting the 4830 or this 9600GT...

the 9600GT is open box, but that just means that you'll have to download the drivers yourself because the driver CD and other accessories probably won't be included...

Thanks! That combination will dominate for your price range. The games you want to play aren't exactly intensive. So, that card should do you fine. But like wol-va-rine said, go for the 4830 or the 9600GT if you can. You will not be disappointed.

again Confusedgirl I know you said you will be running home premium on this build but you didn't answer my question whether or not it was going to be 32 bit or 64 bit....As I said earlier it doesn't matter if you got premium or ultimate what matters is the bits when it comes to the ram...If you only have 32 bit it will not recognize more than ~3.5 GB's of ram so if you do not have a 64 bit OS you are better off saving the money and just getting a 2 x 1GB DDR2 set since this is really all your going to need for what your doing anyways... and that deal that rohan gave you for the CPU and MoBo is really good I'd jump all over that if I was you and I believe the GPU you already have will work with that too so your looking at 150 for CPU and MoBo and depending on your bits for your OS you can decide which way to go for the RAM and you will be below your 250 budget for RAM, CPU, and MoBo....

again Confusedgirl I know you said you will be running home premium on this build but you didn't answer my question whether or not it was going to be 32 bit or 64 bit....As I said earlier it doesn't matter if you got premium or ultimate what matters is the bits when it comes to the ram...If you only have 32 bit it will not recognize more than ~3.5 GB's of ram so if you do not have a 64 bit OS you are better off saving the money and just getting a 2 x 1GB DDR2 set since this is really all your going to need for what your doing anyways... and that deal that rohan gave you for the CPU and MoBo is really good I'd jump all over that if I was you and I believe the GPU you already have will work with that too so your looking at 150 for CPU and MoBo and depending on your bits for your OS you can decide which way to go for the RAM and you will be below your 250 budget for RAM, CPU, and MoBo....

my apologies poker. it is 32 bit hun.:cool:

Which video card are you talking about hun, we have talked about a couple of different ones, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom