XBOX 360 -or- PC!?

I think you should go for a new PC. Then later on you can get an Xbox or something, because that PC is shit, and an upgrade would do you good. Just my opinion, but it's your choice. Good luck! ;)

Depends how much you're going to game on your pc and how much you want to spend. I prefer a good pc over consoles. Remember you can always upgrade your pc! Also, the gpu you're looking to get is about 4 years outdated go for something newer. FPSers, RTSs, MMORPGS, RPGS (Neverwinter Nights, pc > Baulder's Gate, ps2) are much better on the PC compared to consoles. Spend at least $500 on your rig and you'll enjoy it for your purposes for years before upgrading. If you're going to use Window's Vista I highly recommend 2+ gigs of RAM!

In case you're wondering what computer it is, click here.
Heh heh I lied that it was a P4. It was just that equivalent since a 2.5Ghz Celeron would seem better if you haven't researched it.

Are you sure I could salvage case and mouse and keyboard and stuff? Any compatibility issues I should know? And I researched and the motherboard can not even get graphics as good as geforce 6 series, and the processor can only get to Pentium 4 2.8Ghz... and that stinks. Oh and all I know about my monitor is that it says COMPAQ 7600 and its resolutions ranges from:

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 600
1280 x 720
1280 x 768
1280 x 960
1280 x 1024

In case you're wondering what computer it is, click here.
Heh heh I lied that it was a P4. It was just that equivalent since a 2.5Ghz Celeron would seem better if you haven't researched it.

Are you sure I could salvage case and mouse and keyboard and stuff? Any compatibility issues I should know? And I researched and the motherboard can not even get graphics as good as geforce 6 series, and the processor can only get to Pentium 4 2.8Ghz... and that stinks. Oh and all I know about my monitor is that it says COMPAQ 7600 and its resolutions ranges from:

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 600
1280 x 720
1280 x 768
1280 x 960
1280 x 1024

I don't recall anyone recommending you keep the motherboard...:confused:

EDIT: Are you referring to the MB that Prodigy suggested?..because it's an AMD board...so I doubt you are referring to that....hmm...

360 is nice and all, but PC would much be much higher on my priority list. If I didn't have a decent PC already, I wouldn't have bought my PS3.

360 is nice and all, but PC would much be much higher on my priority list. If I didn't have a decent PC already, I wouldn't have bought my PS3.

Agreed. My computer is on the top of my list...always. I have a PS2..that shows how "up" I am with consoles...

BTW, congrats on 5,000.

WARNING!
Please give your most DISINTERESTED/UNBIASED/IMPARTIAL opinion on this discussion! Thank-you.

Anyway, this is my story:

Ever since an incident back a few years ago, I've been die hard computer geek. Well, more like a die hard computer geek wanna-be in a way... Ya see, my computer is like a piece of junk... as you will soon agree:

Intel Pentium 4 1.5GHz
GeForce --whatever was before the 6 series came along
256MB RAM

That totally stinks, and I'm sure you agree. Anyway, my computer geek destiny has led me to want to make 2D games, and pixel art, and maybe even programming. But most of all... Massively Multi-player Online Games! (MMOG)

Moving on, I've been dying to get a new PC, but the problem is, I only have like $130 and I'm not old enough to get a job (like working at a restaurant, walmart, etc. whatever). So I just have allowance, and hopefully squeezing some jobs out of my family.

What I am looking for in a computer, is like:
AMD Athlon (64) X2 4400+
GeForce 6100 (I plan upgrading it)
2GB RAM (maybe upgrade)
(maybe upgrade power supply)
160GB HDD

... or higher specs

... and all for $300 OR LESS ACTUALLY!

Now my brother comes along and wants me to get an Xbox 360. As I can play very cool 3D games and MMOs (though there are not much i told him though he still doesn't listen!) for a cheap price. So I am in a crossroads. If I had the money to buy that 'dream' computer to play MMOs and 3D games, I would totally shun the deal... but with me having a shortage of money... what do I choose!? P L E A S E H E L P M E ! ! ! :( :( :(

I actually have to disagree with everyone else and say the xbox360. I will tell you why. I currently have a computer that was top of the line about 1 1/2 years ago. Aside from a few FPS like UT3 and then maybe Spore. I never even touched my computer for gaming. All the games I consider good on PC are on the xbox360 with a few extra titles exclusive to xbox360 (Halo 3, Halo Wars, GTA4, All COD games, Street Fighter 4(AMAZING GAME), Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Fable 2, and pretty much all the RPG's). Then there is the achievements that are incredibly addictive. I always play games I would otherwise have not played just to get some more achievements, and when I do, sometimes I find some good hidden gems.

So pretty much if you are looking to play some games, in my opinion, there is no greater games than there is on the xbox360. Also you get to play them at a great resolution compared to the PC of the same value. Now the only reason why I would say go with the PC is there is so much non gaming things you can do with a PC, plus you definitely need an upgrade. I would say save your allowances and make a few bucks and get an xbox360 first then maybe save for a CPU with your extra money. Either way you will not regret getting an xbox360.

BTW:: Also on a side note I have found parents to buy there kid an xbox360 as a gift or present much easier than buying them a PC so maybe you can get an xbox360 out of your parents and save for a PC.

1. Go to school, Listen to your Teachers, Do Homework, Dont do Drugs
2. Go to College, Listen to your Teachers, Do Homework, Dont do Drugs
3. Get a job, Start a Life
4. Get All the things you want
5. Profit!

Building a Computer for $300 would be decent and will probably need to be upgraded pretty fast, unless you dont mind playing games on low settings and resolution. Seeing how its hard for you to get money, it would be hard for you to buy new computer parts
If you want better graphics, then go with the 360, and use the money you are going to get for computer, use it for games.
Yes, the PC is better, but think about it, with the parts you are getting, you are going to end up the same place you are now in a year or so.
Just go with your guts and feeling.

Teny is right. To build a feasible gaming computer, you should devote $550-600 with a little "play" money as well in case something arises. My first rig back in '07 cost me about $800. It's now probably worth $450-500. Stuff depreciates fast, but that also leaves windows of opportunity for getting great deals on things.

It depends which games you want to play. If you want to play new games on the PC, $300 won't get you there.

That said, PC is far better if you have enough cash to blow on a high end system and constant upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom