My Camaro seized up

It's still a heap. It looks stupid and the interior is horrid.

Stupidest thing I've heard all day. The car is beautiful, whomever was responsible for restoring that car, is very very skilled.

One thing you'll notice about us muscle heads, we don't care much about what our interiors look like, speed comes first. (usually)

anyone who says that car is horrid should be smacked,im sorry but people too much effort into there restore projects to get pissed on.

Just cause the guy spent a lot of time on it, it doesn't stop it from being shit! I've spent a lot of time on projects before, doesn't stop it looking like a bag of shit.

Having said that...
Stupidest thing I've heard all day. The car is beautiful, whomever was responsible for restoring that car, is very very skilled.

One thing you'll notice about us muscle heads, we don't care much about what our interiors look like, speed comes first. (usually)

you're right, looks aren't as important as the ability to drive,

but really, a bright white car? with a baby blue (electric blue) bird? what is this guy a gay hair dresser?

and yes the interior is shite.

if you;re going to put that much effort into restoring/modifying/'doing-up' a car, I personally feel that you shouldn't settle for anything less than the very best that you can do...

as for the original post,
I had a car die like this once, stopped dead makes horrible noise when trying to start.

the recovery mechanic diagnosed that the timing belt had snapped, (not sure of your engine uses a belt or chain). however, when I got the car home I found what had actually happened is the water pump had seized and the belt was slipping and twisted on the sprokets, but hadn't actually snapped.

There are a few things that you can do... (at least these are the things that I'm suggesting that you do).

First, establish the facts,
is the engine actually seized, (as in pistons seized in the cylinders)?

If so you're looking at an engine rebuild, this needn't be costly if you can do it yourself. but will take time and skill.

to test this I'd suggest putting a very large wrench on the crank and seeing if it turns.

As I said above, check all the belts. see if there is something slipping/missing

check the oil, you said earlier that there was a problem with smoke and burning oil, you did have oil in the car didn't you?
(if not then you're likely to need to do extensive work to the bottom end of the engine, again time/skill/cost).

get an engine lift and get the engine out of the car, if you've got the space that is, you may find it a lot easier to work on when it's out of the car.

In the worst case scenario, look on ebay, see if you can find a whole new engine, then break yours for parts, clean them and sell them.

I've always loved the look of American muscle cars, (though I guess that they are more common in America so you might not have the same sort of childhood fascination), So I think that it'd be a great shame to listen to your friends saying that it's junk and get rid of it.

That said, restoring any vehicle is going to cost a lot in any terms.
(and as above, if you cut corners and don't make it perfect, it's going to show, and people are going to criticise).

I don't understand how that is gay at all? The electric blue seats on the interior were not the first choice of my friend, but his dad ordered them because they were original. I love the white car with the blue bird though, I think it looks great. Wouldnt have it any other way.

The blue bird on there looks good, I do think the blue interior looks a little ugly though. I would have done it black.

anyone who says that car is horrid should be smacked,im sorry but people too much effort into there restore projects to get pissed on.

as for that picture lhuser that looks like the rocker panel is all wore out, just go to a car store(if your in canada, canadian tire just might have em) and tell them you need rocker panels, i believe they come in sets

That makes sense. All I'll need is these rocker panels, and the sand therusty part and we're in business. The frame looks very sweet on the bottom.

It's still a heap. It looks stupid and the interior is horrid.

This is 1980. Min'es read and horibble. I just took off the ceiling yesterday. Right choice to do!

Oh and...root, I'm getting a new 383, it's not staying there. Sezed or not. If I get it unseized, I can do something else with it...like build something preety unique. But buzz told me about rebuilds and putting performance parts...hmm, I might do that, but I might do that on my 383. MMMy original plan was to think like Canadian's #1 redneck repair man, Davidsfarm, and force a 427....but I think it won't even get in...

I think your making the right choice by choosing the 383. Anything else can be more complicated than it's worth. A 383 is an easy drop in like mentioned earlier...My brother has a 86 Camaro he has been restoring and he put a 350 in his too, completly built at home :D I'll post some pics a bit later.

I don't understand how that is gay at all? The electric blue seats on the interior were not the first choice of my friend, but his dad ordered them because they were original. I love the white car with the blue bird though, I think it looks great. Wouldnt have it any other way.
I just think that sometimes Original = old and knackered,
how much would it have been to have the seats that were in the car when he got it re-upholstered, the ones in that photo look old and a little saggy and out of shape.

I guess that the blue seats tie in with the blue bird though...

as for the gay hair dresser remarks,

I've never liked white cars, certainly not in this style. I think that a muscle car like this needs something more to make it stand out,
(I know that technically white is the brightest colour that you can get but I think that it's have been nicer as an electric blue car with a white bird.

^
Root you wont like the pics of my brothers car then, it's white. Color preference shouldn't really be a deciding factor of rather a restoration is done well or not. It's not color choice so much as it is quality of work. The Interior of the Firebird doesn't look complete, so hopefully it isn't.

Anyway, here are the pics of my brothers car from old to the latest pic I have:

Original: It didn't run or anything, we toed it home and that is before anything has been done to it.
l_46dfeb82f10a51841e964731100caa94.jpg

l_1cc0a845d9090de360a8e934b29c9455.jpg

Engine swap: All the work was done at home, my brother should be proud.
DSC01090.jpg

l_664f302881fa1fc056440369f31f8bab.jpg

Latest: This isn't actually the car too recently, about 2 years old actually, but it's the latest picture I have of the car.
DSC00776.jpg

lhuser I hope that you like it, and it motivates you to work on what you have! His car didn't work when he got it and I think it looks pretty good now for a guy who started working on it when he was 16.

I'm far from giving up. Pessimist people, I ignore. The car is a project, and I have the opportunity to restore my dream car, my way!

Back
Top Bottom