About to replace mobo. H&W dont match case

Prodigy146

Fully Optimized
My intel D955XCS is shipping to my house to replace my dell e510s lakeport-g i945 mobo (e.g D945GCz) and the dell mobo is 10.4 inches x 10.5 inches with one pci x16 slot, one pci x4 slot, 2 pci slots

The Intel D955xcs im replacing it with is 12.80 inches by 10.50 inches with twice the pci slots (One PCI Express x16 ,One PCI Express x4, PCI Express x1 slot, Four PCI slots)

So im thinking the 12.80 inches is the width (just guessing).. heres the inside of the e510:

http://g.imageshack.us/img24/314298032440internal4.gif/1/

So if i take the floppy slot out maybe the mobo will fit with the width of the board but with all of the slots i think the board is gonna be way to big and my psu is gonna get in the way.. what can i do?

EDIT: This is basically the board that is currently in the dell case: 945G basically you'll notice that i'm f*cked, im not even gonna explain it youll see it right away :mad:

you could remove some slots..but if its not gonna fit its not gonna fit..getting a new case would be alright..you could measure inside the case also just to make sure it fits.

yeah im gonna take out the dells whole i/o shield, geeksquad supplys that but i wasnt looking forward to paying for a case, and i havent seen a site that sells a competive priced btx case..

Is there any mods i could make with the psu? maybe making it rest on the bottom of the case (with fan pointing up of course) and taking the side panel out to plug it in? (this is just my familys comp, just need to make it work so i can work on mine)

You currently have a microBTX motherboard inside that case and your getting a BTX motherboard to replace it.

The BTX motherboard your getting just isn't going to fit in a microBTX case.

So it has to be either a new case or a microBTX motherboard.

BTX cases are rare these days and its usually the decent 'full tower' cases that can be converted from ATX to BTX standards.

I believe all the components of D955xcs are important so I don't the support the idea of removing some slots.

you could remove some slots..but if its not gonna fit its not gonna fit..getting a new case would be alright..you could measure inside the case also just to make sure it fits.

As in cutting the motherboard so it fits?????

Oh boy :rolleyes:

You currently have a microBTX motherboard inside that case and your getting a BTX motherboard to replace it.

The BTX motherboard your getting just isn't going to fit in a microBTX case.

So it has to be either a new case or a microBTX motherboard.

BTX cases are rare these days and its usually the decent 'full tower' cases that can be converted from ATX to BTX standards.

yeah, like i said..if its not gona fit its not gonna work...but there is no way that mobo will fit in his case..so i would recommend buying anew case considering he's already bought the mobo

You should have just bought the right motherboard. Better yet, just buy the exact same motherboard so you can have an easy replacement.

You should have just bought the right motherboard. Better yet, just buy the exact same motherboard so you can have an easy replacement.

he already purchased the motherboard lol..he said its shipping to his house XD but yeah..shoulda researched a bit more beforehand.

he already purchased the motherboard lol..he said its shipping to his house XD but yeah..shoulda researched a bit more beforehand.
I know, before he even opens the box he'll have to RMA it and get another one.

Back
Top Bottom