Lost in the world of upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supreme Commander (already utlizes 4 cores), I got 65fps on my 8600GT w/E5400 dual core cpu. (Everything Maxed out) Now i have a amd system with the same cpu as dude just picked out, the 9600. i get 75fps now

Some games run better on AMD, and others run better on Intel. Just like how some games run better with ATI or Nvidia.
It all depends on what the gaming developers made their games on. If they used like Intel with ATI, then theres a chance the game will run better if your system is with Intel and ATI as opposed to AMD and ATI.

It could also deals with others, like your OS, monitor resolution, drivers, background programs, and etc.

Oh yeah, and your motherboard makes a pretty huge difference in performance.

Prodigy just gave you a great example as to why clock speed doesn't make or break a CPU. It's just hard to compare across different types (single, dual, quad core) in regards to clock speeds.

And Prodigy, if you are referring to repping me, I could care less about my rep as long as the OP gets the help she needs!

@C.G.: Don't associate quad-cores with hardcore gaming. That's not what we were trying to imprint upon you. We're pretty much saying that quads in general are going to be better from here on out versus dual cores, so you might as well pick up a quad.

You must really take some convincing :D
Did you say yes the first time your husband asked you to marry him :p ...just curious. Hehe.

All im trying to say teny is that dual core, no matter how fast cant beat a quad because its limited to only 2 cores.

Imagine that one computer has 2 processors, and another has 4 processors. And lets say they all have the same everything and every program it runs is capable of utilizing multi processor computers

Which is gonna run better?

actually yes I did say yes the first time he asked me to marry him, but I already knew him for 6 years prior, lol. its not so much convincing, its just for some reason I just dont think I need quad core, for what I do. if i did more I guess it would make since, i dont know. and then prodigy just said a dual core would beat a quad core because it only has two, so that confused me again. :(

All im trying to say teny is that dual core, no matter how fast cant beat a quad because its limited to only 2 cores.

Imagine that one computer has 2 processors, and another has 4 processors. And lets say they all have the same everything and every program it runs is capable of utilizing multi processor computers

Which is gonna run better?

A mother board takes a pretty huge role in this factor, and pretty much no Intel boards are going to be the same as an AMD board since they both operate differently.
The only time the Quad will get an advantage will be only if the program uses all 4 cores, and there are other programs running. But RAM will have to be taken into this factor too.
yes, you are limited to 2 cores, but if all I want was to open up Firefox, Im pretty sure the times are pretty much the same.
I see no point in having an Quad yet (for me). All the games and programs i have now run fine with just the 2 cores.

quad cores are not just for multitasking, most programs use all four cores at once

same for dual core there not just for multitasking, when you have a dual core , programs use the 2 cores at once..

do you see why quad is better??

And like i said within the next few months it wont be 'most programs' it will be all programs that use four cores

Theyre also good for video/music encoding/decoding.

Not Most programs fully uses 4 cores. They barely even use 2 cores. I dont know what programs you are using.
I wouldnt say within a few months is when all programs uses four cores.
The economy in the US is pretty bad, and not everybody has money to get a Quad. So Im pretty sure the software devs arent going to make programs use all 4 cores, because then people will complain, and they wont get much sells.

But, if you are doing an upgrade, or building an computer. Its usually best to go with quad now, whether you are an hardcore gamer or not. It makes it more future proof. Which is a good thing.

I barely use 2 cores though. right now with for windows open my cpu is at 1 percent. and I am running vista ultimate. i could see upgrading later to quad core as more programs use require it and use it, but nothing i even use requires it, and I mean absolutely nothing, which is why I keep asking why do I right now do I have to have a quad core when nothing I have will even come close to using it now? do you see where I am comming from? ( I know, I know I am being difficult, please dont get upset with me, I just cant see buying something like that if i am not gonna use it to it's full potential. but again thats me. )

I also find it interesting that you are pushing quad but those of you have computer info listed are all running core 2 duo :p

Its really your choice to go for which one.
But for a few more dollars for a Quad is a pretty good deal, even though the clocks are lower. Getting a quad pretty much benefits you of not having to upgrade later on until games need more cores, or more clock speed.
But there are a pretty huge speed difference between the 2.
Since not many games utilize all 4 cores, the 6000+ will suffice for now, and might give you a better FPS gain in games. But probably not by much.

IIRC, the newer 6000+ is compared with the E7200 (the one I have.) I think they turned out pretty even on benchmarks.
I dont have a Quad because i see no point in upgrading yet.

Its really your choice to go for which one.
But for a few more dollars for a Quad is a pretty good deal, even though the clocks are lower. Getting a quad pretty much benefits you of not having to upgrade later on until games need more cores, or more clock speed.
But there are a pretty huge speed difference between the 2.
Since not many games utilize all 4 cores, the 6000+ will suffice for now, and might give you a better FPS gain in games. But probably not by much.

IIRC, the newer 6000+ is compared with the E7200 (the one I have.) I think they turned out pretty even on benchmarks.
I dont have a Quad because i see no point in upgrading yet.

the processor I had lister earlier was a athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.1ghz. that is what I had chose. I just dont see why upgrade to quad just yet, the game listed earlier I dont even play. LOL. When the time comes for quad then I will upgrade, at least then I will only need a processor upgrade, lol.

the thing is, you havent bought it yet. Since the Quad is just a few dollars more, it seems like a better deal.

Back then my processor compared to the lowest Intel quad was about $70 in difference, so I decided to get a Dual Instead. What I was trying to say was, that since I already have an C2D CPU, I dont see a point in getting an C2Q now and letting my C2D CPU go to waste.

If you want the 6000+, then go for it, Im pretty sure you will be happy with whatever processor you are getting. Get it, and never look back. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom