Lost in the world of upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
your laptop is playing tomb raiders because it actually has 2 8700M GT processors. so its basically integrated sli (2 graphic cards running together) and those cards have dedicated physics processors.

i've never seen an integrated graphics set up like that.

You will need quad core trust me. Sims 3, which is coming out in 3 months or so is said to fully utilize quad core. Which means that games are adopting the quad core scheme very quick.

it all depends what kind of games you will play in the future.. if tomb raider is all your really interested in, go with a fast dual core

All programs work with quad core as far as I know. It's whether or not they UTILIZE all 4 cores. So, for instance, older games will only utilize 2 of the 4 cores, but newer games, as Prodigy mentioned, will start to utilize all 4. So why not get something future-proof.

your laptop is playing tomb raiders because it actually has 2 8700M GT processors. so its basically integrated sli (2 graphic cards running together) and those cards have dedicated physics processors.

i've never seen an integrated graphics set up like that.

You will need quad core trust me. Sims 3, which is coming out in 3 months or so is said to fully utilize quad core. Which means that games are adopting the quad core scheme very quick.
it all depends what kind of games you will play in the future.. if tomb raider is all your really interested in, go with a fast dual core

Tomb raiders are pretty much all I play I do have combat flight simulator that I play, cant remember what version. and i play some older games I have, but not much of the newer stuff, honestly. unless something catches my attention, LOL. i even like playing the old titanic: adventure out of time game. and for christmas my dad as a joke got me the price is right game. so as you can see i really am not a hard core gamer, lol.

Nope, but like we've been saying, a quad-core won't just help with gaming...it'll help with almost every other aspect of the computer in terms of performance: multi-tasking, switching windows/processes, etc. If the quad only helped with gaming, I would've never recommended it in the first place.

my stupidity is showing again. but here is another question
would it hurt to start out with dual core now and when I can afford to get quad care upgrade then? would that be a bad to do? cuz im really looking at what I can afford to do right now. and i am already used to dual core as my lappy is intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz with 4gig of ram. sorryif I am sounding cheap, im not trying too. and im sorry for all the questions, I am just full of them right now :)

Nope, but like we've been saying, a quad-core won't just help with gaming...it'll help with almost every other aspect of the computer in terms of performance: multi-tasking, switching windows/processes, etc. If the quad only helped with gaming, I would've never recommended it in the first place.

I know hun and I am really apprciating all this info. it truely is helpful, and the fact that everyone is explaining thing is a real +. i just wanna slowly upgrade to quad core. but i do understand what you are saying. (((Hugs)))

Why not just go with the other quad I posted? It's like 6 bucks more than your dual...

Women...you can never understand them and their reasoning...:p JK!...kinda. Hehe.

Why not just go with the other quad I posted? It's like 6 bucks more than your dual...

Women...you can never understand them and their reasoning...:p JK!...kinda. Hehe.

Ha! Ha! very funny, us women dont understand you men either!!! lol. So TOUCHE`!! ok so does quad core mean 2.3 ghz x 4? this where i am confused again ( yes i get confused easily, LOL)

please understand i didnt even know about quad core till these forums i was posting in , again forgive my stupidity, lol.

Ha! Ha! very funny, us women dont understand you men either!!! lol. So TOUCHE`!! ok so does quad core mean 2.3 ghz x 4? this where i am confused again ( yes i get confused easily, LOL)

No, a quad core contains 4 cores. But the speed of the CPU cant and doesnt add up. With more cores you can do more multitasking, its kind of like a program uses one core, while another program uses the other, so you wont get a major slow down. Though it doesnt really do that, and you cant assign what each core can do.

The Quad has 2 more cores than a Dual, which means it has more threads to process, and multitask better.

Lol i cant +1 you just yet dude

I wouldnt be pushing the quad core idea so hard on you ConfusedGirl (...lol) but i've dealt with quad core processors and there fackin amazing. Seriously.

Supreme Commander (already utlizes 4 cores), I got 65fps on my 8600GT w/E5400 dual core cpu. (Everything Maxed out) Now i have a amd system with the same cpu as dude just picked out, the 9600. i get 75fps now

Now that might not be much but my dual core was at 4.0GHZ!! idk it could have been that the e5400 is outdated, or that quad cores actually perform well..

But were just hardcore gamers, we have a different mentality you dont have to listen to us.

quad cores are not just for multitasking, most programs use all four cores at once

same for dual core there not just for multitasking, when you have a dual core , programs use the 2 cores at once..

do you see why quad is better??

And like i said within the next few months it wont be 'most programs' it will be all programs that use four cores

Lol i cant +1 you just yet dude

I wouldnt be pushing the quad core idea so hard on you ConfusedGirl (...lol) but i've dealt with quad core processors and there fackin amazing. Seriously.

Supreme Commander (already utlizes 4 cores), I got 65fps on my 8600GT w/E5400 dual core cpu. (Everything Maxed out) Now i have a amd system with the same cpu as dude just picked out, the 9600. i get 75fps now

Now that might not be much but my dual core was at 4.0GHZ!! idk it could have been that the e5400 is outdated, or that quad cores actually perform well..

But were just hardcore gamers, we have a different mentality you dont have to listen to us.

EDIT: quad cores are not just for multitasking, most programs use all four cores at once

well see just keep in mind I am not a hard core gamer nor will I ever be. that is why I was asking about dual core and then eventually upgrading to the quad core, shoot i never heard of quad core till these forums i'm posting in, so right now quad core is greek to me,lol. I would rather gradually upgrade to quad core than jump in to it. I am one that prefers to learn about things first b4 I just jump in to it. i have always been that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom