Lost in the world of upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoingNutZ

Baseband Member
I have picked a few upgrades for my desktop computer. I am not a serious gamer, although I like to play games once in a while. so I will list what I have chosen and hopefully I will get some feedback, good feedback I hope lol:D

My choices are:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128382

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz 1MB
Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
(Heatsink & Fan included!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272

Ram: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I will be purchasing a 500 gig hard drive as well :D

so please let me know if I did good.

What is your budget?
well keeping it low would be good, lol. I dont need high end stuff or top of the line equipment.after all I just wanna play a few games once in a while and be on the net, etc. I would say my budget right now is no more than 250.00 for cpu, motherboard, and ram. but this is only a guesstimate, my budget is flexible though. :D

my current specs? SUCK!!! lol

My mobo is a pc chips ( i know, i know crap, lol)
processor is 2.2ghz
video card is radeon sapphire 9250
Audio card: Sound Blaster Audigy
hd: 80gig

ps. im not interested in overclocking

Okay. For $250 I'm thinking you can get something a little better than what you've got listed so I'm searching for you now.

Do keep in mind you'll have to reinstall your operating system with a new motherboard..but it looks like you are planning to upgrade your hd in the future anyways.

Alright..as I've mentioned in other posts, I'm not really an AMD man, but at the pricepoint you are at, and currently, they are the best bang for your buck IMHO.

MB: EliteGroup 780G

CPU: Phenom 9850 BE

RAM: G.Skill 1066 4GB

Total cost = ~$260

With this, you'll have onboard video on your MB, so you can wait until you save up a bit for a decent graphics card. Someone with more AMD experience should be along shortly to help you with all of this. Welcome to ComputerForums!

Just what games exactly are you trying to play? Where are you in the world? What size is your monitor?

Just what games exactly are you trying to play? Where are you in the world? What size is your monitor?

im in California, right now my monitor is 17in lcd flat panel, i do plan on upgrading it as soon as I can, but one step at a time. I mainly play tomb raider: Legend and tomb raider: underground. and rollercoaster tycoon 3. simple games really. please be aware: I AM NOT AN EXTREME GAMER :)

Well, $250 is pretty low. You need a case, GPU, PSU, CPU, mainboard and RAM. Keep saving up and come back to us when you have around $500+. I'm not trying to be mean. Just trying to save you time and money. You can't build a system that is going to last you even a decent amount of time on your current budget. Oh yeah, you will have to salvage your HDD and optical drive from your old computer to save you some money.

Well, $250 is pretty low. You need a case, GPU, PSU, CPU, mainboard and RAM. Keep saving up and come back to us when you have around $500+. I'm not trying to be mean. Just trying to save you time and money. You can't build a system that is going to last you even a decent amount of time on your current budget. Oh yeah, you will have to salvage your HDD and optical drive from your old computer to save you some money.

She mentioned she's upgrading..She probably has a case and PSU (who knows what wattage but..) already. As for GPU, the mobo I listed has onboard and should run the games she listed..not on high probably, but she said she's not an extreme gamer so...

Her case may be a mATX though. Cheap ones are like 40-60 bucks though, so if she kicks out the 9850 for the 9600 she could get a case that has a PSU that is at least close to her budget if she can save her hd and optical drives.

um rohan you havent paid attention to anything I have posted hun. you are assuming i dont have anything. let me be more specific in what I have already:

I have a atx case.
I have a Demon blck chrome 580 watt power supply.
I already am upgrading my hard drive to 500 gigs SATA.

oh and by they i can save my dual layer dvd/rw combo drive :)

I only need new motherboard, processor, and ram. and possible video card.

Ah, well good deal then! The parts I listed initially should be fine for now...You can always update your GPU later--I'm not sure how the onboard would compare to the 9250 you have, but you should be able to run some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom