cd burner troubles...

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
ok this is the cd drive i have... Matshita DVD RAM UJ 840S... when i first got it for the first few years i was able to burn anything, cds, dvds, whatever i needed... now for some reason itll get 1/4 way done and stop the entire process... when using itunes it reads all the songs, starts the burn then cancels it out... when using windows media player, it analyze, convert, then start the burn, then again it will close the disk after 1 or 2 songs, then an error will pop up stating to check the disk to scratches and scuffs... nothing is wrong with them ive used the same style plenty before... what could be the problem...

Sounds like the drive is toast! I just replaced a sata dvd burner after a 1yr. run since it eventually wouldn't recognise any rw media or boot from any bootable cd or dvd. If the new drive runs into the same I'll stick an ide dvd burner in the next time since those always seemed to last much longer!

dvd/cd drives always break down, its just a fact of life. my ide burner burned over 500 dvds and once i used memorex it broke, just winds up and stops when i put a disc in.

So its all about the speeds you use and the quality of cds/dvds you use that determine how long your drive will last. And when you buy another drive, i would purchase an extra one just in case

Yup. I bought an amazing Samsung 18x DVD writer with lightscribe and all for like 30 bucks a few years ago, maybe 2 years ago to be exact. It burned everything I threw at it @ the fastest speeds--which probably added up to idk, maybe 250 discs all together....anyways, now it only reads dvds and cds...it will no longer burn...similar to the problem you have. But hey, it was 30 bucks. Things are just getting cheaper. I guess you could call them "throw away drives" if you wanted. I'm definitely not upset about it. It worked long enough to get my money's worth.

ok i found this... now remember, im using a laptop...

i have 1 of these to connect my extra HD, had a spare 200GB HD laying around and ran out of room on the laptop so i started transferring stuff onto the extra, but it converts SATA to USB, same concept with the CD/DVD Burner right???
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226001

then heres the Drive i was looking at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136149

Um, actually, none of us remember because you failed to mention it was a laptop.

Anyways, that setup should work, but you might as well go with a 22x drive. There are others on Newegg.

I should note however you might run into problems with speed...but I'm not sure. For instance, using that setup you might have to slow the burner down to the slowest speed in order to get it to work since the data rate will change going from faster SATA to slower USB...but I could be wrong. If that's the case, you may want to just grab a decent external drive or get one of these...or something similar.

Ah, good link Dodge. When I was doing power search on newegg I only checked USB cuz I figured the lappy only had USB anyways...but I didn't really think about any other computers...so good catch!

If you think that was good wait until you see how I plan to take the external usb drive here out of the enclosure and install it internally. http://www.carltonbale.com/2008/01/western-digital-my-book-opening-the-case-removing-the-drive/

That will leave me with 5 hard drives(4 sata, 1 ide) inside and no fuss with the usb bus. :p All that works out for a desktop there however.

With eSata you are working off of the board's own sata controllers there while still seeing the drive in an external enclosure. With the type of enclosure you see there you also see better cooling since some of those come with good sized fans.

Back
Top Bottom