No sound In Windows Media Player

wizard12

Baseband Member
I want to watch dvds on my computer but when i use Windows media player there is no sound when i play the movie. The movie part works fine but there is no sound at all. The speakers are on and the sound should work but it doesn't. Can someone help me? :confused:

Are you using onboard or a separate card installed? Often the sound mixer for the sound software will play a role if the wav file volume adjustment is down or the mute option is enabled on WMP. You may have to download some additional audio codecs if something was knocked out.

The first step to see if everything is working as far as sound drivers would be typing dxidiag at the Start>Run command line for XP or Start>Search for Vista to bring up the DX diagnostics. That will show any problems found in the sound section there.

I do use onboard sound. Also my sound works fine for other things the only problem is with the media player. I tried typing dxidiag but it does not work. The error message says "Windows cannot find 'dxidiag'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.

It's not D X I D I A G it's D X D I A G all one word in lower case. If you were mistyping like you posted here nothing will come up. That's why you are seeing that message come up.

Are you running XP or Vista there? It sounds more like you are running XP and using WMP 9 or 10, 11 is now in need of a fresh install to correct something.

WMP 9 sadly lacked support for a great deal of codecs you would need to run movie dvds. You had to locate too many 3rd party and download or pay for them while other players like PowerDVD, Media Player Classic, or upgrading to one of the newer versions of WMP would see that taken care of.

With XP 10 seems to be the best there for XP as far as WMP is concerned. If this is being seen on Vista with 11 you have to repair 11, wait for 12 beta to come out, or use a 3rd party player if you have all the codecs and 11 is toast. You can't reinstall 11 since that comes in Windows there.

Run the dxdiag tool anyways to see what that reports.

Back
Top Bottom