HD issue? Corrupt files on a new system.

devroad

Beta member
Hello everyone,
I just bought my new laptop about 2 weeks ago. It's an Asus G50VT-X1 series.
P8400 2.26
4GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB Serial ATA
9800M GS

Anyway, the computer was working great until last night, when my sister decided to use it. She said she restarted it (I'm guessing directly with the power button). When I got back home later that night, I turned it on to find a windows critical system file missing or corrupt error. I tried safe mode, the last known good conf, etc to no sucess. Finally, I had to get my recovery disk out and install everything from scratch again. Now, it's working great but should I check for something? I had an Old Toshiba M55 before this, and I've had times when I just turned it off. For the 3 years I've owned the laptop, it never gave me any problems. I'm just a little worried, because that is the first time it has been turned off (without proper shutdown). Never had a crash before that (Vista 64 bit - suprising but true). And, it went down on the first improper shutdown. Could it be that it was running a system file, when it was improperly shut down? Should I run any programs to check the HD? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. Thanks again. :)

The improper shutdown with any version of Windows 64bit or 32bit is prone to seeing some type of error message. After a few restarts that should be history unless you still see some problem being reported.

The 64bit editions should still see the system file checker utility you run with the recovery disk in. Simply type sfc /scannow at the Start menu's search line to see that verify the main system files for you. If any of those were glitched the tool will copy a replacement.

The other option is to schedule the check disk utility at a command prompt with the chkdsk /f/r switches and have that scan the hard drive for any possible errors on the next startup. That would likely turn out to be more of a precaution while it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't have any of that done, since I had no access to a computer. Anyway, I had to reinstall everything but I'll definitely keep that in mind, if it gets back to me again. Would there be any hardware issues as far as corrupted files are concerned? The sf/scannow comman - did you mean the start-search function in windows? Because, I could not even get into vista. Nothing worked. I didn't see a command prompt option though. Should the chkdsk /f/r be used occasionally or under certain conditions? I wish I had a better way of protecting my data. I lost everything I had installed, cause the recovery swept away pretty much everything I had installed in the first 2 weeks.
Thanks again.

When booting up with the recovery disk did you try the repair tools? There's an automatic "startup repair" option for fixing startup problems before you use the full restoration method.

The F8 boot menu also sees the option to boot up in safe mode for using the command options or the command prompt as well as system restore options while booting from the recovery disk. If you were able to boot up in safe mode at least you could then use the system file checker, system restore, and schedule the check disk utility for the next startup.

The check disk utility is generally used when you are seeing some startup problems or errors when first starting the system and the startup time is extended over what it should be. You wouldn't need to run that on any daily or even weekly schedule in most cases. Once or twice a month won't hurt however.

I actually did not see any repair options (I might have just gone the wrong way). The system did tell me to insert the recovery CD, and repair the system files, but I did not have a option, or might I say, did not see one to do so. I have 2 recovery CD's but I did not see any difference between them. They just appeared to be 2 copies of the same recovery disc. The first one, when inserted updated the BIOS, and from then on I had to do a full recovery. Anyway, I have reinstalled everything from start up - I guess it wasn't so bad after all. The good thing about the reinstall is that everything started up from scratch, so I did not have the amount of the software I had, when I first got the machine. Anyway, I'll try to avoid the malfunctions and keep it safe this time along. One quick question - I know it's out of context, but for the 9800 series, can I just download the latest driver or is it best to go along with manufacturer's driver (from their website, which is slightly behind as far as updates go)

It's usually best to download the driver directly from Nvidia. That way your sure to get the latest driver improvements.

but bios updates from the manufacturer are always good, look for that instead

Not necessarily. Unless you are an overclocker or are having stability or compatibility problems, you don't ever really need to upgrade the BIOS.

Not necessarily. Unless you are an overclocker or are having stability or compatibility problems, you don't ever really need to upgrade the BIOS.
This is true. I had a computer turn into a paperweight after "successfully" upgrading the BIOS. Had to do a clean install.

Well said! That's precisely when any updated version would be needed unless the present bios gets corrupted or the update offers a fix or support for a new device.

Back
Top Bottom