Laptop choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what your friend is trying to do. If he's looking at a notebook that takes advantage of that specific price point, he'd be better off with the Toshiba.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the Sony. At that budget, I wouldn't look to do any major gaming. Sony notebooks typically offer a sturdy build quality, coupled with fantastic screens. Comparing the two, the Sony has a significantly higher screen resolution than the Toshiba. Whatever his choice may be, he's looking at two notebooks that are targeted at different audiences.

In my opinion head to newegg.com go to laptops/notebooks do an advanced search and set the GPU type to dedicated and see what comes up. You want a dedicated video card for gaming for sure and you can find a better machine for a cheaper price. I just spent $650 on a 2.1duel core, 4gigram, 320gig hard drive, 512 dedicated video card and a bunch of other bells whistles. Which should run anything that sony will for half the price plus if he's willing to fork out 1000-1500 you're looking at a pretty serious gaming machine. Just make sure your graphics card is dedicated it makes a world of difference. Generally desktops make for better gaming, more bang for the buck, less likely to overheat, etc. but laptops have come a long way and in that price range you can find a laptop that's going to be able to run any game out without a problem.

im in canada and i just got this laptop, its in the same range as those two i think and it works pretty good:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10118701&catid=25315

i tried a couple games on it, half life 2 runs well on high but newer games like bioshock make it slow down really bad unless played on all low at a bad resolution so i deleted it, beats my 2001 hp deskop tho :)mad: i wanted it upgraded long ago) so im going to play games like FEAR and spore which i never could play on this before.

HDD? im not good with laptops, barely even good with pc's to be honest
HDD = Hard Disk Drive

And for the record the laptops your looking at ARE PCs.

Computing synonym breakdown
Laptop = on your lap
HP-laptop-LP-laptop-lg.gif

Desktop = on a desk
h1111.jpg

PC = Commonly genericised term for the IBM PC series which started the ball rolling in personal computing, now a days it's used to describe a computer which runs on windows or linux
windows-logo.gif

Mac = Apple Macintosh computer (technically still a PC, but not referred to as one) runs an operating system from Apple.
mac_logo.gif
mac_logo.png

Yeh im the friend who's getting the labtop ( i just got registered to this forum).
One of the reasons im going to be using the labtop is for music porpuses. I have 2 zune's. yes a ZUNE and not an IPOD... anyways my parents have decided to get the mac. so we have a mac pro at home and i can't use my zune with it unless i use the VMware fusion...a complicated process!

I'm not familiar with the Graphic cards. Which one has a better graphics card in those two labtops that Vaziri showed (Sony and Toshiba).
Also I'm for sure not getting an HP pavilion or any HP because my sister has one and it broke in the first month and iv also heard alot more complains on other website.

For the Sony vs Toshiba. Iv heard and read that The Sony makes good labtops but Toshiba's are more reliable because Toshiba focuses and only sells labtops, but Sony sells Tvs, Mp3s, Projecters...ect. So which one do you think is better well which one out of those 2 labtops look like the better deal. I want the most out of this labtop

One last thing The Sony has more video memory than the Toshiba. The sony has 1340 mb of video memory but the Toshiba has 512mb.

Iv heard and read that The Sony makes good labtops but Toshiba's are more reliable because Toshiba focuses and only sells labtops, but Sony sells Tvs, Mp3s, Projecters...ect. So which one do you think is better well which one out of those 2 labtops look like the better deal. I want the most out of this labtop

You don't know what you're talking about, so please don't post. Toshiba does not focus on notebooks. They also sell televisions, projectors, and other household electronics.

One last thing The Sony has more video memory than the Toshiba. The sony has 1340 mb of video memory but the Toshiba has 512mb.
They both use shared memory, which can be changed. Either way, you're still using integrated graphics.

You don't know what you're talking about, so please don't post. Toshiba does not focus on notebooks. They also sell televisions, projectors, and other household electronics.

They both use shared memory, which can be changed. Either way, you're still using integrated graphics.

Ummm okay i do know what im talking about. What i mean is that Sony isn't just about laptops. Most people would say sony is popular in gaming, tvs and camera's. When you ask someone about Toshiba theyre like oh ya the laptop. And i mean normal people not tech nerds.

and it was simple spelling mistake. dont make such a big deal out of it lol...

so which one has the better graphics card...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom