My Camaro seized up

Your tack is def screwed... those things redline at 5k, so I don't think you want it running 6-8k.

I think you may as well just give up on the 305, does the tranny work alright? You didn't really get ripped I don't think so at least. Time to pull the 305, and don't put in a little 383... Go with the camaro's biggest buddy... the 455.

Your tack is def screwed... those things redline at 5k, so I don't think you want it running 6-8k.

I think you may as well just give up on the 305, does the tranny work alright? You didn't really get ripped I don't think so at least. Time to pull the 305, and don't put in a little 383... Go with the camaro's biggest buddy... the 455.
A 383 is hardly little, he'll be able to get lots of hp out of it. Plus the 383 is a 350 engine block so it'll be able to drop right in with no mods whatsoever. If he drops a bb in there he'll have to mod the motor mounts, tranny mount, get a new driveshaft and everything to accomodate the bigger engine. Probably a cowl hood as well, which might not be a bad thing IMO though.

Oh, and a 455 is an Olds/Pontiac motor, you mean a 454

Oh, oops, I forgot the 455 was in the trans ams before the Camaro was the same thing. Yeah, the 454, lol.

No, I know the 383 is a 350 block, it is big, and it will be an easy swap. I was just teasing, plenty of HP potential in the 383, haha. I am going to swap a 302 in this summer, and that will be big enough for me, lol.

Is the 383 a stroked 350 or is it a stock produced engine? I don't know much about Chevy motors.

Oh, oops, I forgot the 455 was in the trans ams before the Camaro was the same thing. Yeah, the 454, lol.

No, I know the 383 is a 350 block, it is big, and it will be an easy swap. I was just teasing, plenty of HP potential in the 383, haha. I am going to swap a 302 in this summer, and that will be big enough for me, lol.

Is the 383 a stroked 350 or is it a stock produced engine? I don't know much about Chevy motors.
Kinda both, GM produces them, they just take the 350 blocks and bore and stroke them. You can order one straight from GM Performance Parts as a crate engine ready to drop in. Plus the 350 is the most popular small block in the world so there are tons and tons of aftermarket parts out there for it.

i thought the 383 was a chrysler engine?
Noooooooo

Mopar engines in that range were the 318, 340 and 360. Those were the closest small blocks to the 383. After that it jumps up to the 488 and 505 v-10's from the Viper.

Edit: I just read that Chrysler did have a 383 Magnum engine from the 60's.

how about a 327? or a 396??:D :D
Are those even Chevy engines?
Kinda both, GM produces them, they just take the 350 blocks and bore and stroke them. You can order one straight from GM Performance Parts as a crate engine ready to drop in. Plus the 350 is the most popular small block in the world so there are tons and tons of aftermarket parts out there for it.
Most popular? Idk bout that... 302 is pretty popular too.

Yup, the 383 is a stroked 350. You drop in a 400 crank and rods and you're off to the races. Put a .060 bore to it and you get a 388 like I had in my Vega.

i thought the 383 was a chrysler engine?
Chrysler did make a 383. It came in either a standard 2 barrel or a 4 barrel "Magnum". The 383 Magnum was a good strong motor in it's day. :D

Back
Top Bottom