My Camaro seized up

lhuser

Golden Master
Here's the dilema; My car is seized, well so they think.

See, I get people saying it's seized, some saying the entire car is trash (It's to restore, dammit, they don't learn), some say the seller is a crook, some say it's the starter stuck on flywheel.

Well, to begin with, I need to give you some history on that car.

first, it's a Camaro 85 IROC-Z with a 350 inside (or 305). The seller says it's a 350 because of the large intake tubes on top.
Anyways, car was for 1500 with a working engine (yes, it worked flawlessly.)
My mother likes to deal it, so he sold it to me for 1250. So, I saved 250 bucks, to waste it on the car later on :p

Now, the problem is that the camshaft is knocking on the high revs (6-8K RPM). Anyways, when I bought it, first off, it's a new battery in. The old one crapped out (needs recharging). and I didn't bother with old. This is a restore project. Out with the old, in with the new. My Tercel might like the new battery, even though it's not in the need of one.

The next day, with gas in it, that thing started perfectly, and there is no knock noticed. That engine works flawlessly, shooting air at my face when I look at it.

So, later on, I notice there's smoke coming from the valve covers. So, no time to waste, new one comes in (until my newer engine comes in). It was worth the 100ish bucks, because these gaskets and covers were poor. For luck, I shot in there a 5w30 ibottle in the car.

So, with that being done, residual oil smoking (opps me), I took it for a quick drive. 400 meters later, it seizes. Now, it wasn't quick, but slow.

First, engine dies, and I barely was able to start it up. Then, that huge strap noise came. So, I drove it very carefuly to home. Nope, It died on the corner. Ended up to push it in our parking.

Later on that night, before leaving with my friends, I turn the key, it barely started, and shut off just before starting. Then, here's the clak sounds when you try to start it.

So, here's where the fun starts.

I go get a new alternator (That old one was a POS)/, and put it in with my friend. Still no go. Brings his father in, to conclude that engine is seized. Then they all rant it's not worth it to repair, and the guy's a crook, and they eventually make jokes on it. First off, they don't get the point...IT"'S A RESTORE PROJECT!!!

I tell my father about it, and he thinks it could be the starter.
I go tell that to my friend, and he says that is too rare and that woul still spin the engine still.

Only til last friday, the theory of the starter popped up. I told that to my distant friend, and he automatically shoots the starter. Then my mate told him no, it's not possible and he insisted on it. He claims it's stuck in the flywheel. He adds in that it's rare to kill a 350 like that, even with a camshaft lightly screwed up.

So here's what I can deduct, using his theory:

I take it for a drive with a bad alternator. Car dies, athen barely able to start up. The huge noise may come up from the alternator, since being so screwed. Then dies again. Push it home, batt charges up a bit.
I go try it again later at night, and stops suddently before starting. Not enough juice in the battery might have caused the starter to get stuck in the flywheel, plus including the starter's age.

What do you guys think? I'm really confused.:confused:

First thing...pull the starter off, 2 bolts and a couple wires and it's off. Take it to a parts store and have it checked.

You could possibly have spun a rod bearing in the motor. You said it was making a lot of noise while it was running? It had enough oil in it right? The clacking noise is probably the valve lifters, not the camshaft. Or it could perhaps be piston slap, common in older GM engines.

Those cars came from the factory with a 305, the only way it'd have a 350 is if someone did an engine swap. What engine are you going to be putting in it? 350?

Lastly......PICS! I love those old IROC-Z Camaros! Or take a vid and put it on your youtube channel!

Yeah, I was thinking for pic. As for starter, I know I need to wait, because the conditions are dangerous to work in. If it's jacked and it slips, you're cooked.

AS for noise, it ran normal with a really high strap noise, like as if something went loose in it, and was going all over the place....but that looks like the power steering. It's on a slant. The clak he claimed to be in the camshaft, that was fiddeling with the lifting rods. I don't think the piston slap would be involved, but it's possible.

Most likely it's a swap, but if itsn't, it's no wories. I'm not putting either a 305, 307 or 350. It's a 383 that goes in there.

Pics will come, I got to wipe my car off the snow, and pics comes in. I'll take a pic in the engine, may help you to find a problem..

It's a 383 that goes in there.
NICE!! Nothing like a stroker....:) You'll be able to get some good horsepower out of that puppy. What all does the new motor have done to it besides bored/stroked? Plus it's essentially a small block 350 so the aftermarket for that thing is wiiiiideeeee open for you, you'll have tons of choices for parts. Just make sure you upgrade the rest of the drivetrain too.

As for the pic to help solve the problem, you probably won't be able to tell what is wrong with it just by looking.

Why even worry about the current motor since you are doing a swap? How long is it going to be until you get the new motor?

Edit: Oh, and tell those idiots to screw off.....it is a nice car and worth restoring.

Here are some nice ones to get you going about restoring yours:
Chevrolet.camaro.IROC-Z-red.front.view-sstvwf.JPG

Irocz3.jpg

10543-1989-Chevrolet-Camaro.jpg

attachment.php

dscf0812.jpg

dscf0811.jpg

dscf0810.jpg

dscf0809.jpg

You had yours revving to 8k?
Don't really know...my tack is screwed...

And I only worry because my manne of restoration is from the rear to front. When I do my engine swap, all the fixes are done to the body, new engine is in, and voila, all good to go.

lol,love the new heads on the engine in the pics :p

but seriously, it could be the car wasnt up kept and it is a sports car so it possibly has a reputition of being kicked around so you should pull off the starter like tommy boy said but instead of taking it in there are two small bolts on the main cover, take them out, they are long, then take off the top and side covers then look inside at the brushes and see what shape they are in, post up pics if you can.

hope this helps, and my dads really good with older cars so ill ask him what he thinks and the shop teacher at school is really good.lol i sound like a little kid there..

lol,love the new heads on the engine in the pics :p
Those are the new valve covers he bought.

And nice car LH, it'll be even nicer once you get that new(er) 383 in there. And from the 4500 rpm redline on the tach I see that this car was an original LG4 150hp 305, the better engine was the L69 190hp 305. Don't know if that is the original engine under the hood though. Looking at the casting numbers on the engine block will tell you that though.

Back
Top Bottom