295 or 285?

GKil164

In Runtime
I've been looking into a few possibilities lately as far as video cards, but have found myself kind of stuck on whether I should go ahead and use the EVGA step-up program and get myself a GTX 295 or not. I need opinions on the card, pros/cons. If I don't like what I hear about the 295, I will probably just end up shelling out the extra cash for a 285, but it would be nice to save a bit of cash. And yes, before anyone mentions it, I AM getting a larger monitor eventually. So I guess the question is, 295 or 2x SLi 285? It wouldnt be much of a competition if it wasnt for the almost 200 dollar difference.
Thanks for any input!

If I remember correctly, you are using a 19" screen, right? If so, you are fine using what you currently are at. It's actually overkill for that small of a screen. You need to be running a resolution of 2500x1600 to really justify that card.

Well, the problem with me upgrading my monitor, is I only just got the one I have about a month ago, so getting a new one so soon would seem like this monitor was just a waste of money, so when I said I was getting the 295, I was planning on updating my monitor sometime in the next few months. But I decided that the 295 isn't really worth it to me at the moment. So I think I'll stick with my 285 for a while. and Joga, my most recent benchmarks are:
3Dmark vantage:
3DMARK score: P13892
GPU score:13112
CPU score:16912

I MAY get another 285, but I'm not 100% sure right now.

Well, the problem with me upgrading my monitor, is I only just got the one I have about a month ago, so getting a new one so soon would seem like this monitor was just a waste of money, so when I said I was getting the 295, I was planning on updating my monitor sometime in the next few months. But I decided that the 295 isn't really worth it to me at the moment. So I think I'll stick with my 285 for a while. and Joga, my most recent benchmarks are:
3Dmark vantage:
3DMARK score: P13892
GPU score:13112
CPU score:16912

I MAY get another 285, but I'm not 100% sure right now.

Get a bigger one and add the current one to it. You can run different size monitors.

I say get the 295, once it drops down to $350, pick another one up. Games will just keep on getting better and better. I know you love crysis so im sure you would like to be playing it in high settings especially if you get a bigger screen. Reason ill be stepping up to the 295 is cause ill be getting a 24 inch that is 1900x1200 and i would like to play crysis at the highest settings, wont run 16xAA at that res i dont think but most definently with another 295 which i will pick up once its around $300. Of course thats if i dont hear any problems about the 295

Techmaster, I love how we have our conversations then you sum it all up again on my post lol. But bottom line is, I am sticking with my 285 for now, and when it gets to like a week until my 90-day is up, I'll look at the price of the 295 and see if there are any complaints or problems with it, and then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom