Bad overheating problem.

Yeah it's a laptop, and an odd one.

I installed speedfan. I'm using it normally(internet only, some youtube) right now, plugged in, on low power. Both cores are hovering between 140-150F, while the GPU is staying at about 200F. I don't have the cooling pad going, but that's still not good, is it?

From what I've been reading about this thing, I shouldn't be having this problem. A review I read documented this thing as being able to play half life 2 on nearly full settings. Another stated that on lower settings it could to Quake 4 at 60+ fps.

Is it possible that it's built up some dust internally? Should I try blowing it out?

edit: And a Desktop really isn't a possibility right now...I'm a college student with virtually no income. What I do get is spoken for already.

edit again: It's not under warranty, but I watched the Dell guy take it apart when the motherboard was replaced under warranty. It's not all that complicated to take apart. Should I open it up and make sure everything's put together right?

If you're comfortable enough, open up the bottom and remove the dust from the heatsink on the processor. It may just have been knocked loose, or not properly inserted. You really can't do too much harm opening up the bottom panels.

I've googled "Dell XPS M1210 overheating"

A few people are having the same problem, but it's not normal. I would send it back to Dell as if you try to open it up yourself, you will most likely have to break a seal which will void the warranty. I know it can be a PITA sending things in, but it's the most sensible thing to do.

yea............uhm there's good news and bad news

your gpu is about to catch on fire.

Good news is that I know speed fan estimates a little high. still, 90 is ridiculous.

The cpu temps are fine, but still a little warm, though it is a lappy

Yes, dust can bog down your system. If it looks dusty, def clean it out.

I don't know what to say man....cook an egg?

I've googled "Dell XPS M1210 overheating"

A few people are having the same problem, but it's not normal. I would send it back to Dell as if you try to open it up yourself, you will most likely have to break a seal which will void the warranty. I know it can be a PITA sending things in, but it's the most sensible thing to do.

I don't believe he will void the warranty just by opening and cleaning the bottom panels. If he actually opens the case up, then it's another story. My Inspiron 1525 runs amazingly cool. My Toshiba Satellite used to cook my leg and heat up the room I was in. Take a can of compressed air and give it a shot.

I don't believe he will void the warranty just by opening and cleaning the bottom panels. If he actually opens the case up, then it's another story. My Inspiron 1525 runs amazingly cool. My Toshiba Satellite used to cook my leg and heat up the room I was in. Take a can of compressed air and give it a shot.
Yeah, it probably is fine, I was just worried there might be a seal/sticker which would void the warranty if broken.

Back
Top Bottom