Bad overheating problem.

Mutant Corn

Daemon Poster
So I've got a Dell XPS M1210, and I like to play games. It's got decent specs...2.0ghz Centrino Duo chipset, Nvidia GeForce Go 7400, 2gigs of ram...I guess about average for today's computers. The problem is, it's all crammed in to a space that's not a whole lot larger than a Dell Inspiron Mini 12. Add to that the fact that there's only a tiny fan on one side and a candycane-shaped piece of copper to cool it down, and we've got a disaster waiting to happen.

Indeed, even when I'm playing an old game like Deus Ex on minimum settings, it's only a matter of time before the graphics cad overheats and things start to slow down. I can't even play effing Hero Online. Playing Oblivion on bare minimums will last maybe an hour. (and honestly isn't very enjoyable) I've gotten a display driver crash message quite a few times, and even blue-screened it once. (yes, I'm a bad person..:( )

I always play stuff with it sitting on a 3-fan USB-powered cooling pad and basically every graphics setting on both the OS and the game on minimum settings, and I take breaks often. I've even resorted to putting it in the freezer for a couple of minutes before I play, to add a bit to my playing time. I'm out of ideas...

So, kind sirs, how the do I cool this thing down?

TL-DR:

My laptop's GFX card overheats doing simple stuff like watching movies, and I already use a monster cooling pad. How the hell do I fix it?

edit: and for some reason, it gets hottest on the bottom right corner, where the disc drive is...even when there's no disc in. Wtf?

You said you are playing oblivion on it and on oblivion the minimum processor spec is 2.0ghz which is what you have. Maybe because your processor is working so hard to play the game is is overheating, i have had a friend that played oblivion on a 2.0ghz computer he had to leave his CD drive open so it wouldn't overheat, i think you computer just like his is working to hard and has such a small fan like you said. I think you should upgrade your processor in your laptop if not buy a better gaming computer.

The Centrino Duo has a dual core processor...I'm pretty sure it's a Core 2 duo. I don't think it's the problem, because the games still run normal speed(until it heats up) when I set them to just one core.

It sounds like to me the heatsinks are not set in correctly. Factory defect most likely. If it's under warranty ship it back and let them fix or replace it.

First of all, don't put your computer into the freezer. You will destroy or short circuit your computer.

Edit: Removed my suggestion, haha.

^ Not necessarily. But that's fair enough advice,

Isn't this thread about a laptop?

Yes it is tom...

@ OP I don't think it has anything to do with the cooling or anything you will be able to fix without upgrading...I would say get you a cheap desktop and stick to playing games on there since laptops really aren't designed with extensive gaming in mind...

First of all, don't put your computer into the freezer. You will destroy or short circuit your computer. Just buy a mid tower case from online and move everything into it. Easy and cheap fix.

That's why i asked. He'll laugh when he realises.

Back
Top Bottom