I'm thinking of....

Fully Optimized
starting my own local computer business. What do you think? A good idea, bad idea? Would it be cost effective in the tough economy? Where could I get the start up costs (I don't have a job, not can my mom get a small loan). And any other thoughts.

People are gunna come tell you you won't be able to compete. If you're willing to commit to this, then you WILL.

You'll need to get some cash together soon. Maybe start your business with a website selling custom builds (tough market, but low overheads) then spend your profit on renting a store and getting some stock in.

That's what I was thinking of. And I am willing to compete. I have my own computer so any time I am not working on homework I could spend on making a website better. I just don't know how to make webpages. :(

And I don't know how I could get any money together except for asking grandparents. But if I can get the money together, I am willing to stick with it.

I am a freelance web designer, perhaps i could help. I also give 20% discount to CF members for anything i sell here.

PM me, we can sort something out. No payment necessary.

Well, I will look into whether I can get funds or not. If I can, I might take you up on the offer. How much do you ask?

I wont charge you anything atm, you're a start up business. No fee. PM me, what you plan to do as a business, let's get a deal going here.

You may be able to get a business loan from the SBA (small business Association) but you will need a detailed business plan to submit to them. But I suggest that you do something like Tom suggested and get established somehow other than just jumping into it and getting a space because you are going to need at least a few customers who will come to you with some steady business because it is hard to open a business and be profitable in the first year or two... Especially in these tough economic times where people are trying to keep every penny they have just in case they lose their jobs....I'm not saying it can't be done but I am telling you it is very tough opening a shop like that out of no where and generating a customer base with no previous customers....I am a business major in college and know a lot about what it takes to start and run a business so I know it can be done with a lot of hard work but you are going to go through periods of no income in which you are going to have to have a nest egg as well as regular customers to keep some sort of income coming in....

But there are also other factors in deciding whether or not to start a business such as what the competition is in your immediate area and what type of things they offer and at what prices...If you can be profitable competing with them and there prices you should do it if not try and figure out a specific niche that they don't fill and emphasize and advertise that you can do this and get some of their customers in the door. Say for example if they don't do custom builds offer that, or if they don't deal with certain hardware or software make sure to offer those services.... Then make sure to be 100% ethical with people so they continue to comeback cuz it is cheaper to keep a good customer than it is to attract a new one....:D:D:D

You may be able to get a business loan from the SBA (small business Association) but you will need a detailed business plan to submit to them. But I suggest that you do something like Tom suggested and get established somehow other than just jumping into it and getting a space because you are going to need at least a few customers who will come to you with some steady business because it is hard to open a business and be profitable in the first year or two... Especially in these tough economic times where people are trying to keep every penny they have just in case they lose their jobs....I'm not saying it can't be done but I am telling you it is very tough opening a shop like that out of no where and generating a customer base with no previous customers....I am a business major in college and know a lot about what it takes to start and run a business so I know it can be done with a lot of hard work but you are going to go through periods of no income in which you are going to have to have a nest egg as well as regular customers to keep some sort of income coming in....

But there are also other factors in deciding whether or not to start a business such as what the competition is in your immediate area and what type of things they offer and at what prices...If you can be profitable competing with them and there prices you should do it if not try and figure out a specific niche that they don't fill and emphasize and advertise that you can do this and get some of their customers in the door. Say for example if they don't do custom builds offer that, or if they don't deal with certain hardware or software make sure to offer those services.... Then make sure to be 100% ethical with people so they continue to comeback cuz it is cheaper to keep a good customer than it is to attract a new one....:D:D:D

Yep great advice, if you are not going to be 100% committed to your business, don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom