Comp keeps restarting a few seconds after boot

browserjoe

In Runtime
I have had this problem before, and it was due to the motherboard touching the metal part of the case. I solved this by gluing peices of wood to the mobo (do it yourself kind of guy). This time I think it could be due to my C2D 2.13ghz overheating. The CPU fan (it is a very big model) came off by its 2 top screws (lol couldnt figure out how to put them in). The temps read 90+C in speedfan when I noticed the fan running very high. THen the comp restarted. Then kept restarting a few seconds after I booted it. I don't know if this is due to overheating or a short circuit on the motherboard. I installed everything and suspended the motherboard in midair so I don't think the motherboard shorting is the problem. Could the CPU overheating have possibly been the problem??

If you are seeing this when first turning the system on it wouldn't be an overheated cpu but a different type of board or hardware problem. One thing to try out there would one or more other tools for comparing actual temps as well as a look at the hardware monitor in the bios to what the actual temps are.

Often SpeedFan or another software can give off false high temp readings. A few other tools like PC Wizard 2008, CoreTemp, and even a free system information tool can show if SF is running into that.

PC Wizard 2008, http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

CoreTemp, http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

System Info for Windows, http://www.gtopala.com/

I have had this problem before, and it was due to the motherboard touching the metal part of the case. I solved this by gluing peices of wood to the mobo (do it yourself kind of guy). This time I think it could be due to my C2D 2.13ghz overheating. The CPU fan (it is a very big model) came off by its 2 top screws (lol couldnt figure out how to put them in). The temps read 90+C in speedfan when I noticed the fan running very high. THen the comp restarted. Then kept restarting a few seconds after I booted it. I don't know if this is due to overheating or a short circuit on the motherboard. I installed everything and suspended the motherboard in midair so I don't think the motherboard shorting is the problem. Could the CPU overheating have possibly been the problem??
wow, and I mean wow, I just can't believe what I'm seeing here.

Glued wood to the m/board??? What is wrong with using the correct risers? How did you "suspend" the board in mid air? Couldn't figure out how to screw a fan onto a cooler or couldn't figure out how to attach the cooler correctly?

90°C is too hot for your cpu, can you post some detail about your components (cpu cooler etc)

Core2Duos will throttle when they get too hot but they should just slow down, not restart.

Suggest you read a few tutorials on how to put a pc together correctly, google will give you plenty of information, and get the proper equipment, such as risers/standoffs, make sure everything is installed correctly, will make it easier to work out your problem.

Glued wood to the m/board??? What is wrong with using the correct risers? How did you "suspend" the board in mid air? Couldn't figure out how to screw a fan onto a cooler or couldn't figure out how to attach the cooler correctly?

90°C is too hot for your cpu, can you post some detail about your components (cpu cooler etc)

Core2Duos will throttle when they get too hot but they should just slow down, not restart.

lol well it worked for a matter of months so it didnt bother me. I didnt feel like paying/waiting for things to be delivered haha. And I suspended the board like 1in above a wooden table on top of 4 wooden blocks by its corners.

oh and the best part- I didnt have the screwholes on my case tray where my cpu cooler needed it- so I hotglued the screwthings into the back of the mobo:D :D

and my comp reboots too soon to get to the bios

pfffffft, and you wonder why it reboots.

Honestly that would have to be the most half assed installation I have ever heard of, if you can't take the time to do things properly then I'm afraid I will be of no help to you.

pfffffft, and you wonder why it reboots.

Honestly that would have to be the most half assed installation I have ever heard of, if you can't take the time to do things properly then I'm afraid I will be of no help to you.

Wow, can we shun him? That's like a slap across our face.

if the cooler is not attatched properly the cpu will indeed shut down, even at idle the cpu gets too hot to run without any kind of cooling, and from what he's mentioning he's not getting any kind of cooling at all...

at boot up my E6600 would start my system and run for a few seconds before shutting down and that was with my cooler attatched but not making enough contact with the cpu, I finally got the cooler on correctly and it booted up without a problem after that (I had to rotate the cooler 90 degrees), it doesn't take the cpu long to heat up to 90c+ with improper cooling, not long at all...

Back
Top Bottom