What do you think of this?

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
Canon FS200

I've been looking at it and I think it's a good camcorder, I like the use of flash memory as opposed to minidv tapes or mini dvd's.

I have used this cam in the store. It feels VERY comfortable in your hand it's rather amazing.
Now it is standard not high def. So to some that might be a draw back.
I remember the zoom from this one, it is really nice. Nice and crisp.
If I had the money to spend I would spend it on this one.

I have used this cam in the store. It feels VERY comfortable in your hand it's rather amazing.
Now it is standard not high def. So to some that might be a draw back.
I remember the zoom from this one, it is really nice. Nice and crisp.
If I had the money to spend I would spend it on this one.
You may have used the FS100, the FS200 I linked to is not out yet.

Hm. Gosh darn it I think you are right. ha. They look extremely similar.
What are the different features in them? RESEARCH TIME! WOOT!

I did find this forums.cnet.com.... That looks like a rather big set back, which doesn't really make sense to me why you would do that.

EDIT:
This is what I am talking about when it comes to the zoom Haha. This is the FS100 youtube

I did find this forums.cnet.com.... That looks like a rather big set back, which doesn't really make sense to me why you would do that.

EDIT:
This is what I am talking about when it comes to the zoom Haha. This is the FS100 youtube
Yeah, that is some pretty nice zooming. So do you think I should get the FS100 instead of the 200? Seems like the quality is being downgraded.

I still think tape is the best format. Cameras that use flash memory automatically compress the video once it records. With tape, you have a variety of compression options. Plus tape is interchangeable.

Manufactures usually reserve tape for both the budget and prosumer market. This quote probably sums it up.

Nowadays they generally form the top and the tail of a manufacturer's camcorder line-up. Standard-def MiniDV camcorders from Canon, JVC and Sony are all AU$399 entry-level models with big zoom lenses and not much else. The high-def HDV models from Sony and Canon boast large image sensors and are fully featured.

So minidv is better? I've heard that, but there are disadvantages to that too, for instance, having stacks of tapes laying around. Having to convert it onto your pc from the tape with which you have to play the tape in the cam and record it to your pc which takes a lot of time. With a SDHC cam I can take the sd card out and insert it into my laptop and record it to my pc easily without having to connect the camera and using up the battery and whatnot.

Having to convert it onto your pc from the tape with which you have to play the tape in the cam and record it to your pc which takes a lot of time. With a SDHC cam I can take the sd card out and insert it into my laptop and record it to my pc easily without having to connect the camera and using up the battery and whatnot.
There are plenty of disadvantages for each format. Decide whether or not you're willing to put up with them.

I've heard that, but there are disadvantages to that too, for instance, having stacks of tapes laying around.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I prefer having a hard backup should anything go wrong on my computer. That's probably the reason why I still buy CDs.

So minidv is better?
I'm not saying MiniDV is necessarily better or worse. Try reading this guide and decide on your own.

http://www.cnet.com.au/camcorders/camcorders/0,239035915,240061716,00.htm

Back
Top Bottom