Should I upgrade my 9800GTX?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
I am thinking of upgrading my current 9800GTX. How much better are the current GeForce 200 Series? The reason for my upgrade is Im thinking about adding two 22” addition monitors to my current 24” monitor. What I might do is get a good 200 series card and SLI it with the 9800GTX. I know the speed will be only as fast as the slowest card, but the performance in game (WoW) should still be better then running a single card. Plus what I will prob do is try and sell 9800 and depending on what 200 I will get, get the same one and sli them. I will have to get an SLI mobo (x58), but il save that for a different thread.

Thanks guys,

I am thinking of upgrading my current 9800GTX. How much better are the current GeForce 200 Series? The reason for my upgrade is Im thinking about adding two 22” addition monitors to my current 24” monitor. What I might do is get a good 200 series card and SLI it with the 9800GTX. I know the speed will be only as fast as the slowest card, but the performance in game (WoW) should still be better then running a single card. Plus what I will prob do is try and sell 9800 and depending on what 200 I will get, get the same one and sli them. I will have to get an SLI mobo (x58), but il save that for a different thread.

Thanks guys,

You can't SLI two different graphic chipsets. You will be able to use 4 monitors with the cards. But, you cannot use the two cards in unison for graphic intensive programs. There are plenty of SLI boards for the PXX chipsets. Just get another 9800GTX and you should still get great performance.

if your adding one more monitor and all your playing is wow upgrading is going to do nothing for you
even playing most games its going to do very little
unless u need 600fps
you can max out any game but crysis for the most part with 50-60 fps

Thanks guys!

I just found ut about the SLI thing what a bummer

What im saying is Im currently getting a low FPS with using 2 monitors and having graphics on HIGH so if I would to upgrade the 16" monitor to a 24" the fps will drop even lower, so my question is will the GTX 295 really help me get good fps with the two 24" monitors?

Thanks guys!

I just found ut about the SLI thing what a bummer

What im saying is Im currently getting a low FPS with using 2 monitors and having graphics on HIGH so if I would to upgrade the 16" monitor to a 24" the fps will drop even lower, so my question is will the GTX 295 really help me get good fps with the two 24" monitors?

You can pick up any other Nvidia card. Then just use one card for gaming and the other strictly dedicated to the other monitor. That should solve your problem. Just buy a cheap sub $50 card.

You can't SLI two different graphic chipsets. You will be able to use 4 monitors with the cards. But, you cannot use the two cards in unison for graphic intensive programs. There are plenty of SLI boards for the PXX chipsets. Just get another 9800GTX and you should still get great performance.

no there are not IIRC, natively those Intel chipsets don't support SLI just crossfire, though some have modded drivers and used physical mods (pencil mods?) to support SLI...

I believe the x58 chipset is the first to officially enable users to SLI...

Thanks guys

will my FPS better benefit from having a one “Radeon HD 4850 X2” and have all 3 monitors connected to it or to connect the 2 secondary monitors to a 9800GTX and ether get a GeForce GTX 285 or a 295 modal video card and have my primary gaming monitor connected to it? The secondary monitors will be used for IE, Ventrillo, MIRC, AIM…etc

You can only connect up to 2 monitors per card. I don't know if that is the case if you buy a splitter. But, that will be only be mirrored. I think you need to have both Nvidia cards. I'm not too sure about that, though.

You can only connect up to 2 monitors per card. I don't know if that is the case if you buy a splitter. But, that will be only be mirrored. I think you need to have both Nvidia cards. I'm not too sure about that, though.

The "Radeon HD 4850 X2" has 4 DVI ports, meaning it can support up to 4 monitors. What im trying to understand is from what will I benefit more?

Back
Top Bottom