Is this desktop system good for a home studio?

mycompsucks9898

Baseband Member
I have a desktop computer running Win XP SP3 with:

ASUS A7v8x motherboard

AMD XP 1800+ Thoroughbred (1.53ghz) overclocked to 1.8ghz.

256mb DDR PC2100 (can go up to 3GB, limited to 1 PC3200 or 2 PC2700, but there are 3 RAM Module slots...)

Nvidia Geforce2 MX 400

This computer supports AGPX4. It also supports AGPX8 , i just need to update the BIOS on it.

I am wondering if this computer is good enough for running the latest Pro Tools or Cubase software. I will definitely upgrade the RAM on it, bring it up at least by 1GB . My goal here is to make a home studio set up for recording guitar,bass and vocals. I will be using external interfaces via USB.

*bump*

This is the kind of set up I started with 2 years ago.

I was running Reason 3 with Cool Edit Pro and I quickly realised I had to upgrade.

I'm now running Nuendo 3 and Sonar 8 with Reason 4 and loads of other apps. and plugins. But in the next few months i'm going to upgrade to a quad core set up.

The best 'studio' PC's will use a quad core CPU with big Caches and at least 3GB RAM.

DAW's like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Sonar will rely on moving a lot of data around a system. So fast buses and big caches is what you need.

Also you want to use 7200RPM hard drives as your audio drives and make sure they have high buffer sizes.

Having said all that you will be able to run Pro Tools and Cubase on your set up but you'll find yourself waiting for your system to respond to simple requests. And as long as you use a decent audio interface your latiencies shouldn't be to high.

So be patient.

:)

Ok thanks, I will be bringing up the RAM to 3GB. So that should help, but if the recording gets serious, i will definitely look into a quad core set-up. Its just that I don't have the cash for it all right now.

Ok thanks, I will be bringing up the RAM to 3GB. So that should help, but if the recording gets serious, i will definitely look into a quad core set-up. Its just that I don't have the cash for it all right now.

No worries.

Recording should be straight forward but when you start to use some serious plug ins and effects your system will show signs of strain.

Let me have a listen when your done and I could give you some mixing tips.

Back
Top Bottom