Good, cheap, 775 mATX mobo to choose...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alright. Well, the solution to my mobo woes was right in front of me this whole time. Why buy a damn socket 478 board that's majorly outdated and pay the price for it, literally? Well, I've decided it'd be easier to grab an older socket 775 board and a 775 P4. Basically here's how this will work and I'll just need your help in the end. If you don't want to read all of my gobbly-gook, just skip to the end...I'll bold something to catch your attention.

My g-parents have my crappy (well not so much now) Dell. It's socket 478 and has a 2.8ghz P4. I've recently upgraded it to 2GB of DDR-3200 400mhz memory and popped in a 500W raidmax psu that I had lying around--def. good enough for what they use it for, which is email haha.

Second, I have another socket 478 HP computer that I'm looking to throw back together to sell (pretty much have it sold right now if I get it together...to a family member who needs it for an embroidery machine). It's got a 2.0ghz Celly in it right now. It's got the stock PSU (~200-250w I suppose), but has 512MB of RAM (probably slow...266 or 333mhz DDR) now thanks to my Dell upgrade (I threw the Dell's 256mb into it). HOWEVER, if any of you remember my previous threads about this computer, the mobo is giving me a "system fan failure" warning and will not boot and there is no way around it--I need a new mobo.

Well, I've been searching for a month for a decent 478 board that won't break the bank (under 40 bucks or so...total (mobo + cpu if needed), and my only option until now has really been eBay, but I want something reliable--there inlies the problem! So the solution, I figure I might as well get a socket 775 board and a 775 P4, slap it in the Dell (with the 2GB of RAM) and then just transfer the socket 478 board and P4 from the Dell to the HP--I don't know how I missed this.

Anyways, I got a good laugh because AR posted a link to a really cheap mobo in a previous thread, and to be honest, I might buy it--or one close to it!

So my options:
I'm thinking about one of these mobos--can you recommend the better one? [BTW, I have an ancient PCI ATI-Rage (probably 8mb..but it works!) video card that i'll be using for the display adapter since neither have onboard.]

Foxconn 1 this one seems newer from their website...plus it's an intel chipset which is a plus...Manu. Site

Foxconn 2 this one is older I think, and I've never heard of an SiS chipset...Manu. Site

BTW, I'm open to other suggestions, but it needs to be a mATX board.

Also, I'm still not able to stray away from eBay as I'll still have to buy the 775 P4 there, hopefully for under 20 bucks. I'm hoping to grab a 3.0Ghz one with hopefully 2MB of cache..but maybe I'll get lucky and win the 3.4Ghz which would be nice!

Alright. Let me know anything. I know that I'll probably have to do some wire stripping/soldering/switching for the front switches to work, but I think I can handle that.

Thanks to anyone who reads this friggin this..I know it's long...sorry :(

From what I have read, the Intel 848P and SiS 648FX based boards are nearly identical in performance. The two boards you selected have nearly the same specs other than the chip set. I'd say the choice boils down to how much do you want to spend?

Well, the three bucks isn't much to write home about, so price doesn't matter between them. However, I doubt either one would do it well, but if I would try and OC, which would I potentially have better luck with? Or should I not even think about OCing...and just grab the cheapest?

SiS Have been around nearly as long as Intel have :)

If you have an aftermarket CPU Cooler you could *TRY* To OC on either of those boards.With an ATi Rage 8mb,Why do you need to overclock? Doesnt look like you'll be gaming much with that card :D.

The Only differences with those boards is that the intel chipset uses a realtek LAN Chip and has SPIDF Sound output.

If you have an aftermarket CPU Cooler you could *TRY* To OC on either of those boards.With an ATi Rage 8mb,Why do you need to overclock? Doesnt look like you'll be gaming much with that card :D.QUOTE]

Cuz OC'ing is fun :)

I think I'll grab the intel one.
___

I wish this wouldn't automerge but it probably will...I was hoping to catch someone's attention.

Do any of you know where I can pick up a P4 (775..800mhz fsb) for under like 30 bucks shipped BESIDES eBay? Just wondering...

Also: It's obviously fine if it's used.

Back
Top Bottom