isp riroff

2.5 megabits is to 300 kb/s as 1 megabit is to 120 kb/s (simple ratios) so you're doing just fine at 130. AND, remember, the DL rate is usually advertised in megaBITS, not bytes, which is deceptive.

wait, are you sure it's in kb = kilobits and not kB = kiloBytes? Cause 130kB = 1040kb = ~1Mb. I think that's what the last couple posts have been suggesting you check.

Well, if you were using a faster connection, maybe you were getting more than you were being told, I can't tell you just from that info you gave us. That, or maybe you were downloading from a source on your LAN or you WAN.

Other things may contribute to this problem, such as distance from the exchange and some home networks are unable to match the speed of the Internet connection thus lowering your performance. Quality of the phone line at your residence. Neighborhoods with better copper wiring usually reach somewhat faster DSL speeds.

i can see how things got mixed up. i build computer fix them clean them what ever people need. and i dident even realiz what yall are saying but sudden link need to explain things better i thougth when i got this service i would be able to download up to 1 meg meaing 1024 kb per secound.

I have a commercal 12meg down / 1.5 meg up through Suddenlink at the hotel in North Carolina. I get 10 to 11 megs tops on a good day down and 1.3 to 1.4 going up. But that is not always the case. Your local hub could be busy and in some cases overloaded. When that happens you get handed off to another hub. Or you just bide your time letting things calm down.
Keep in mind you're really doing ok with what you have. Some times you'll get close, other times you won't. It's just the nature of the beast.

Justin,

Using your site, a 1 mbps connection should bring you 122.1 KB/s. I don't know where it's confusing at this point: 1 mb/s * 1 byte / 8 bits * 1000KB / 1MB = 125 KB/s

Back
Top Bottom