overheating CPU... recommendations?

diggitydoggz

Solid State Member
Hey all, I recently built a new gaming computer with an Intel Core Duo CPU E7300 processor @ 2.66 GHz. It works just fine except when I play demanding games like Call of Duty - then it'll heat up and my PC Probe tells me it reaches abnormal temperatures. At one point it reached 68 degrees but then the game automatically minimized (because of the PC Probe) and it went back to normal. I've got a couple of fans inside the computer but the CPU fan is the default one that came with it. I'm wondering what I should do and if I will need to replace the fan, and if so which one would do the trick.

Thanks..

The max temp of the 45nm C2s is 72c, and it's not unusual for it to go right up to those maxes under the stock cooler. I would disable PCprobe and download an app such as RealTemp. Leave it running whilst playing your game and it will record the max temp. Once you've finished playing, see what max realtelp has recorded, if it's under 72c, you're fine.

And it's likely that PC P. doesn't know the correct Tjmax for the 45nm so it is giving your temps 10c higher than they really are.

Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded Real Temp. What does TJMax mean? It gives me two temperatures (45 and 36) and then under it theres two numbers that represent distance to TJMax (55 and 64). Does that mean that 100 is the max temperature? How do I interpret these numbers?

Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded Real Temp. What does TJMax mean? It gives me two temperatures (45 and 36) and then under it theres two numbers that represent distance to TJMax (55 and 64). Does that mean that 100 is the max temperature? How do I interpret these numbers?
The TjMax is what temperature reading apps use to calculate the core temps. It's different for every range of CPUs. You should just be looking at the first values, not the distance to TjMax. Compare the temps with PCProbe, are they lower?

The TjMax is what temperature reading apps use to calculate the core temps. It's different for every range of CPUs. You should just be looking at the first values, not the distance to TjMax. Compare the temps with PCProbe, are they lower?

and make sure your tjmax is set at 100 or you'll be getting a reading about 10c lower than what it actually is, before I knew about it I used to thump my chest about my temps being in the 20s when in actuality my tjmax was set wrong (85 IIRC) and the temps were actually in the 30s...

Thanks for the replies, guys. My TJMax is set at 100. The Core 0 temperature right now is 45 degrees celsius, and the Core 1 temperature is 36. On PC probe it lists the CPU temperature as being 33 degrees. It's acting weird though... yesterday I was trying to import a CD and that alone gave me a warning on the pc probe that the temperature had risen to 65. It also doesn't give me any trouble when I play warcraft 3 but when I play call of duty for even a few seconds, it immediately jumps up to 65-68 degrees on the pc probe and it alerts me. I'm thinking that the default cooling system that came with the CPU isn't good enough for high end gaming, but I have no idea why the temperature would jump so high with simply importing a CD to itunes.

It should be fine with the stock cooler as long as its not overclocked to much. The problem may be that the cooler is not seated correctly on the CPU or maybe the thermal paste is junk....you could try some testing programs to see if the CPU is really overheating or if it is just the pc probes readings...but as long as your not over the limit with the temps it should be fine...

Thanks for the replies, guys. My TJMax is set at 100. The Core 0 temperature right now is 45 degrees celsius, and the Core 1 temperature is 36. On PC probe it lists the CPU temperature as being 33 degrees. It's acting weird though... yesterday I was trying to import a CD and that alone gave me a warning on the pc probe that the temperature had risen to 65. It also doesn't give me any trouble when I play warcraft 3 but when I play call of duty for even a few seconds, it immediately jumps up to 65-68 degrees on the pc probe and it alerts me. I'm thinking that the default cooling system that came with the CPU isn't good enough for high end gaming, but I have no idea why the temperature would jump so high with simply importing a CD to itunes.
Ignore PC Probe, focus entirely on Realtemp, what is that telling you when it's under load?

Back
Top Bottom