I need help with upgrading...

Driek

Baseband Member
Hello all, I just joined this forum, in hopes of having a couple questions answered.

First; I would like a new CPU, because mine is five years old. However, I have NO idea how to find out what CPu is compatable with my computer. It was a custom computer I had built from an old HP. Can anyone help me find the information nessecary to have forum members tell me which to buy?

Second; If I change the CPU, do I have to reinstall my OS?

Third; Where can I buy a boxed copy of Windows XP?(If number two is a yes)

*Quick Edit* If I lag playing online games, would upgrading the CPU in the first place fix this? My CPU right now is an Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz. Would anything within $300 be an actual upgrade?

First; I would like a new CPU, because mine is five years old. However, I have NO idea how to find out what CPu is compatable with my computer. It was a custom computer I had built from an old HP. Can anyone help me find the information nessecary to have forum members tell me which to buy?
Since your system is 5 years old, your CPU will use an older socket so your upgrade options would be extremely limited. You'd have to shell out on a new CPU, mobo, RAM and even graphics card if your current one isn't PCI-E.
Second; If I change the CPU, do I have to reinstall my OS?
Since you will have to change the mobo as well to make this upgrade worthwhile, there could be some leftover drivers that may cause conflictions. You could run a repair install to see if that fixes things, or you may have to reformat.
Third; Where can I buy a boxed copy of Windows XP?(If number two is a yes)
If you still have your license key (should be on the case somewhere if it's prebuilt), you don't need to buy another copy, just acquire another disc. So just download an ISO and burn it.
*Quick Edit* If I lag playing online games, would upgrading the CPU in the first place fix this? My CPU right now is an Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz. Would anything within $300 be an actual upgrade?
You'd have to determine whether your CPU is the actual problem. If your ping is high, then it's not. If your FPS is low and that's what causes the lag, an upgrade could do some good.

Ok thanks. As for the video card, I have a nVidia 7600 GS. I have a new case so I don't have the key. Is there a way to tell what my motherboard is without opening up the case? Or does the fact I have a 7600 GS tell you if I need a new one?

*Edit* I know NewEgg is a good place to buy computer parts. Can anyone recommend a cheaper Motherboard/CPU combo (packaged, or two separates that work well together)?

Ok thanks. As for the video card, I have a nVidia 7600 GS. I have a new case so I don't have the key. Is there a way to tell what my motherboard is without opening up the case? Or does the fact I have a 7600 GS tell you if I need a new one?
Run CPU-Z, it will give you all the info on your mobo, RAM and CPU.

Ok heres what is says:(If there is any other data I may need let me know, i have it open)

CPU;
Name: Intel Pentium D 820
Package: SOcket 775 LGA

Motherboard;
ASUSTek Computer INC.
LITHIUM 1.04
INTEL i945P Rev. A1
INTEL 82801GB
LPCIP SMSC

Its says my Video card is PCI-Express, so I should be good from there... but I get the feeling this thing is old... it says 2005 for the year, and I can't find any updates for mine... I don't even see my model, which CPU-Z says is just LITHIUM.

Also when I try to use the navigation wizard(which I assume on there webpage it takes me to find my downloads for my motherboard) nothing happens =(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229070

Would this fufill my needs?

The 945 won't support anything much beyond the Pentium Ds, so you really do need more than just a CPU upgrade.
Whether you need to upgrade the 7600GS or not depends on how much you game and your monitors native res.
If you think you're capable, you could build something similar for a lot less. You probably do need a new system, you're case is likely uATX so if you upgraded the motherboard, you wouldn't be able to fit it in.

Second Thought: I don't think I could handle building a computer myself... so.

Could anyone help me find one within the $1500 price range that will run all steam games full quality(Except AC, but definitely F.E.A.R 2)?

It's really not as hard as you think. We were all in the same position as you once upon a time. It can be daunting, but when you've actually got all the parts there in front of you, it's pretty self-explanatory. And if you have any problems, I'm sure somebody at CF would be glad to help.

Well, I don't know if I would have the time to sit down and do it. What little time I have, I would prefer to just be playing games. Can you recommend any computer from NewEgg that are ~$1500 (or any website) that will suit my gaming needs though?

Back
Top Bottom