Slow XP with ALOT of free space??

religion2386

In Runtime
My friends parants have a desktop with XP SP2 on it. it has like 150Gig hard drive and as of RIGHT now it has 117gigs free. It has updated anti virus from Norton. Its a family computer and they mess with torrents. They have limewire but only have like 4 songs from it. When they use torrents they get what they need and delete them. I downloaded CCleaner and that DID make a difference, but its still slow SOMETIMES. For example if you open Enternet explorer and open multiple tabs lets say 2 or 3, its like the computer gets overwhelmed and just lags around. Then like 45secs-3min later it will pick back up and run normal. Im defraggin it right now, then I was goin to do a trend micro scan, but is there any other things I can do? Maybe add RAM?

My friends parants have a desktop with XP SP2 on it. it has like 150Gig hard drive and as of RIGHT now it has 117gigs free. It has updated anti virus from Norton. Its a family computer and they mess with torrents. They have limewire but only have like 4 songs from it. When they use torrents they get what they need and delete them. I downloaded CCleaner and that DID make a difference, but its still slow SOMETIMES. For example if you open Enternet explorer and open multiple tabs lets say 2 or 3, its like the computer gets overwhelmed and just lags around. Then like 45secs-3min later it will pick back up and run normal. Im defraggin it right now, then I was goin to do a trend micro scan, but is there any other things I can do? Maybe add RAM?

Running Norton doesn't help. It's unnecessarily tough on resources.

How many and what programs are starting up and running in XP?

Using CCleaner, click on Tools > Startup. There you can see which programs are running and you can also delete the startup entry or just disable any unneeded programs. You can still use the programs afterward, they just wont load up when XP boots, freeing up some resources.

what kind of processor does it have...? single core, dual core, core2quad, etc., how much memory...? also, Norton is absolutely horrible on resources, that's half the problem right there...

I used to run Norton in many flavors. It's not that bad. Not enough to slow things up as much as he describes.

This is off the properties of "My Computer"

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz
448MB of Ram

IDK but thats not much ram AT ALL is it?

Im bout to reformat it I think...There is abunch of uneeded "junk" on it.

Would just going to "Add/Remove Programs" work or what?

You could use a bit more RAM. XP runs great with 1GB and amazing with 2GB. But, do your defragment your drives regularly? Do a disk cleanup and download Auslogics Disk Degframenter. It's free and works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom