Debate Question

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Why are high end, multi core, sli/crossfire, terabyte drives, with outragous amounts of high end ram, built to play games?
I just don't understand why some drop large dollar figures in a vid card just to play games. $300.00usd and up for vid cards? Water cooling and over clocking, just to play games?
I wouldn't drop that sort of cash just to play a game. It would have to cook, clean, and tuck me in at night.

Let's be civil in this discussion. (I am posting this in several forums to get a good cross section of answers. Nope, not writting a book or doing a survey. Just interested in your answers.)

Think about it this way. Unlike a console, a PC is built to be updateable, so unlike a console, you can always be buying games for it. Of course, this means technologies naturally going to get better.

I didn't build this PC for games, but I did drop in a nice graphics card to make it possible to do so.

I wouldn't bother with water cooling, but I have messed with overclocking before, but you don't have to overclock to play a game if your system is good enough anyway.

I haven't updated my PC now, since I built it, and its still running new games perfectly fine, and thats like... 2 years ago now?

I'm not mad enough either to go SLI. I'd rather just get one good card (which should be available), capable of everything I want to use it for. I shouldn't have to spend money on two, to get the performance I need at resoloutions I want. If I did, then cards aren't getting better fast enough in my opinion, to keep on top.
This happened with Crysis to begin with, but even a Radeon X4850 could probably handle Crysis now at 1680x1050 at around 30fps.

diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

why do some people buy thousands of dollers for aftermarket parts on there car, even though the don't race them at all

people spend big money on just childish things for there apartment.

and people spend $$$ for computer parts for games

thats what i have to say :)

Yeah, good point. Sometimes you just feel happier knowing you have something, if you'll use it or not, haha. If it helps your well being having it, so be it.

i never spend that much on computer parts.
The max i have spent on a computer part is $150, which is my graphics card, everything else in my gaming was $100 and less.
It can run most games on high, except GTAIV, Crysis, and Stalker Clear Sky, but its not like i play those games.
Then i dont upgrade till every game i run is at low/medium, then i upgrade certain part. Its not all that bad.

Games on the PC is about $10 or more less than what the 360 and PS3 sells form, so over time, that amount saved up is spent on computer parts. So all the price amount is equaled.

My card cost $150 on ebay sometime ago. I like to play games, I like to be able to play them at higher settings or for some reason I feel I am not getting all that I paid for or something... I also like it to be decently smooth when I play, or else it is pretty hard to play it.

On the grand scheme of things, i find that my computer hobby has been one of my cheapest hobbies so far. I don't find $300 to be that expensive to drop on a video card. In fact, I think you end up spending less in the long run if you put a little extra money into your computer from the start (that's not saying to buy the newest hardware because those prices are always inflated).

There are more wasteful things to spend your money on (thinking about the hundreds of dollars I've spent on alcohol that I've literally pissed away).

Back
Top Bottom