Upgrading RAM

DPtheGod

Baseband Member
Right, so, I ran a scan on my computer and it said that I have a maximum memory capacity of 4GB. And, it said nothing about constraints. So, I ordered a 4GB kit off of buy.com (2x2GB sticks). Shortly after, I was on crucial.com and it said that each of the four slots can hold a maximum of 1GB per slot.

Does this mean that I cannot use the two 2GB sticks and remove the two 1GB sticks? :(

Thanks in advance!

With 4 dimm slots and a maximum of 4gb the basic math should have told you that each slot sees a 1gb max(4x1gb=4gb). You may have use for the 2gb dimms later on a new build but not on the board there.

yeah you may be able to RMA it and get the correct ram but I'm sure there is gonna be a restocking fee and also you gotta pay shipping back so your better off either selling the ram or like dodge said hold it for another build in the future... Tough break...

Yeah, they have max module sizes, you probably should have found out what the max module size was before you purchased the ram. Anyway, you can RMA it, but I'm sure you'll have some fees involved. I guess that is the penalty for not doing all the research before you buy.

I was originally told by a computer tech and a Geek squad member at Best Buy that the system can pull as much memory as possible out of a a DiMM. I had explained that I have four slots, and the computer has two 1GB DiMMs installed. We had figured out that it supported up to 4GB. So, I was told that I could install them anyway, up until I get a new computer system (which I plan to do soon, and wanted to upgrade the ram otherwise). But, the scan on the website said that it will only support a maximum of 1GB DiMMs, not just support only 1GB.

So, I was going to ask around and see if people knew. I don't know anything about any of this, so I trusted the tech and the best buy employee. I'm not too worried about it. I was just contemplating returning it.

Whoever you talked sold you a line of bunk! "pull as much memory as possible out of..." is crock in plain English. 1gb is the largest size supported when the actual specifications show a 4gb max on a board with 4 dimm slots.

What make and model are you running there? If you have the manual that came with the board look at the specifications shown in that or at the manufacturer's support site. That's where the reliable information is.

If you can return them you would be better off. Someone was pulling wool down over your eyes there.

Ahhh, I hate Best Buy :(

Well, I've been contemplating upgrading my system anyway. This one is out of warranty. It's a HP Pavilion a6170n, I believe. I figure I will throw the RAM up on craigslist, just to see if I can get someone to buy it off my hands.

Well the next time you want to upgrade the memory on any HP model a look at the product information or following the steps outlined at their support site will help out considerably. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3436774&prodTypeId=12454

The link there is for the a6170 models in general since no a6170n but a few a6170 links were seen there. As far as getting advice in retail stores where they hire people simply to sell you often have to look past the advices on some things they offer.

Their jobs putting it simply are to "sell" and you got caught on that one!

Knowing what you are looking before going into any store like that will help you avoid making any big ones. Remember you can easily end up spending a small fortune on this stuff very quickly if you don't keep yourself informed by first looking into things like system specs and what will work.

Back
Top Bottom