Screen freeze

Mike in Tbilisi

Solid State Member
As a new member may I firstly say hello to everyone. I'm not very computer literate but do my best.

I was having screen freezes which appeared to be caused by an inadvertent loading of XP Pro twice (in different partitions) - my fault. So, cleaned everything and reloaded XP. There has been a three week period without freezes but today I had two.

I have one partition, my OS is XP Pro 64 bit, ASUS with Pentium 4, 500MB RAM, 50GB hard drive + Seagate 160GB external drive. I Defrag, CCleaner and Disk Clean Up twice a week + McAfie (full) and SuperAntiSpyware (full) on alternate days.

Internet is IE8 satellite and Google is default.

It should work fine. Is it your video card. Go to dos and type BEEP. See if it works thats good. That means its hopefully not the system.

It should work fine. Is it your video card. Go to dos and type BEEP. See if it works thats good. That means its hopefully not the system.

Thanks for the speedy response. Have now discovered a problem with my Seagate external HD - will sort that out then wait a few days to see if the freeze happens again - if it does I will follow your advice (but I don't know how to "go to dos").

Ok Seagate problem resolved but not screen freeze. These are in two forms (usually when I'm playing MSN Zone Hearts, but not always). The first is that the mouse reponds but I cannot play - ctr alt del just shows two programs running (the two Hearts defaults). The second is a complete freeze and the mouse and ctr alt del don't respond at all. I have tried uninstalling Hearts several times but no change. Please tell me how to get into dos and I will try BEEP.

:confused: I think this problem may be resolved but see post on "Back up"

Oops - Ceedo solved the problem re backups so no post. Seagate are not very good, but the Ceedo guy is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom