PC won't start

agnagnam

Solid State Member
Hello. I have this pc that I built back around 2002 that I have not used in a while. I would like to start it back up again so I can give it to my sis, problem is, it won't! All it does when I power it on is kick the fans on and I can hear the HD as well. It does all this for about 5 seconds then shuts off. There is no display, no beeps or nothing. I don't have parts to swap around with, so before I buy anything, I want to make sure its what I need.

One thing I DO notice though is that the video card does not kick on. I don't have another agp card on me to test out but, I figured if that was bad then wouldn't there at least be a beep code? I'm thinking theres either more than one prob. or maybe the mother board is bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks. :)

Best thing to do would be to remove and then reinstall all the components including video card, memory, etc. Sometimes a litle corrosion will build up on the contacts and the friction from moving the parts is enough to "clean" them up. Make sure all cables and wires are properly connected.

If re-seating the parts doesn't fix the problem you could try unplugging the power, removing the CMOS battery and then hitting the power button to fully drain the power from the system. Then replace everything and see if that clears the problem.

Back
Top Bottom