Should I get a 790GX or 790FX board?

Thanks, I'll get some advice from other places as well and then make my decision :).

Just out of curiosity, what makes DFI boards so much better for OCing than say, MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte?

In addition, would it be worth spending the extra $20 to get the $160 DFI 790FX board? I honestly wouldn't mind the extra money, it's not too much.

Thanks, I'll get some advice from other places as well and then make my decision :).

Just out of curiosity, what makes DFI boards so much better for OCing than say, MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte?

In addition, would it be worth spending the extra $20 to get the $160 DFI 790FX board? I honestly wouldn't mind the extra money, it's not too much.

Honestly, don't worry about the company too much. I've heard a lot of people say bad stuff about ASUS and MSI. You will get a dud or two with every company. Some of my friends have bought ASRock stuff and they love the boards. You don't really need DDR2 1066. You won't see any difference in real world performance and it's only if you're trying to overclock to CPU to the limit.

The main difference between the FX and GX is the amount of PCI-E lanes. The FX has 48 and can run 16x + 16x CF and even 4-way, the GX can only run 8x + 8x CF.
Do you really need 4 PCI-E slots? Most drivers don't even support them that well.

Take a look at this
ASRock

This MSI

Or, this DFI Lanparty

The ASRock doesn't support Crossfire. So, I don't know how much you would consider getting a different GPU. The other two will do you well.
Those are all SB 600 boards, he want to be looking for a mobo with SB750 above everything.

If you don't even plan on doing some serious Crossfire, I'd go with a 790GX board, this Foxconn is one of the best at it's price IMO.

The main difference between the FX and GX is the amount of PCI-E lanes. The FX has 48 and can run 16x + 16x CF and even 4-way, the GX can only run 8x + 8x CF.

Those are all SB 600 boards, he want to be looking for a mobo with SB750 above everything.

If you don't even plan on doing some serious Crossfire, I'd go with a 790GX board, this Foxconn is one of the best at it's price IMO.

I haven't heard stellar things about Foxconn TBH...and if an extra $30 is all it takes to get a better MOBO then I'll go for it.

I haven't heard stellar things about Foxconn TBH...and if an extra $30 is all it takes to get a better MOBO then I'll go for it.
Foxconn are a well known brand with a good reputation, and I think that board is as good as the boards that are $30 more expensive.
You don't really need DDR2 1066. You won't see any difference in real world performance and it's only if you're trying to overclock to CPU to the limit.
It's a different story with Phenoms than it is with C2s. Phenoms have an on die 1066 memory controller that can actually take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

Foxconn are a well known brand with a good reputation, and I think that board is as good as the boards that are $30 more expensive.

It's a different story with Phenoms than it is with C2s. Phenoms have an on die 1066 memory controller that can actually take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

Hm, weird.

Yep, 1066 is well utilized for Phenoms. Since it's almost no more expensive than 800 anyway I might as well.

People seem only only have good things to say about DFI, and I'm leaning towards them now. The only question I have is if it's worth going GX or FX with them.

So I will DEFINITELY be getting a DFI board, they just seem to be the best. I just need to know if it's worth spending the extra $20 on the FX board.

Also, can anyone recommend a good heatsink (preferably less than $40) for the Phenom II? I'm looking to do some good OCing, so I need a nice one.

Back
Top Bottom