Running hot

techglider

Baseband Member
When gaming, my screen starts to pixelate.. It only happens when my GFX card runs hot.. I have a EVGA 6800GT and was wondering if anyone else had this card over heat or if you suggest getting a heatsink/fan besides the factory one for it.. I will try to get my rig's specs soon but any thoughts in the mean time will help.. Anyone notice major differences between factory and aftermarket cooling heatsinks for Videocards?
It used to do this alot when i played WoW for hours on end, but i have gotten away from that life sucker and play less time consuming games. Here is an example of what is happening or what it looks like..

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4777/bf2776si.png

It did this sort of thing with WOW, CS, and now with L4D all very similar in symptoms.. Now it looks like shadowing or rendering issues with L4D and it happens randomly and it can be fixed by alt+tab ing out of the game and back in then its back to normal.

I think im running it at a 5% overclock, id have to check. i really do need to check my bios settings i havent done it in a while

If you are, then that it is likely to be causing the problem. I suggest you either restore original settings or upgrade, because I can't really see any point in investing money into additional cooling for this card.

Try and get hold of some temperature software and let us know an actual temperature it's running at when these problems occur.

I dont know if it supports your card or not, but use Rivatuner to check your temps, and if you have a fan, you can adjust it to run at 100% all the time to prevent overheating. Also check the fan on the card to see if its getting any airflow, if its been used for years, then there would most likely have no airflow.
If you dont have a fan, you can rig it to have a fan, what my friends and i do is get an small fan thats has the same plug as an regular case fan, tape the fan on it, and plug it in, and turn on the computer. It cools quite a lot for those that doesnt have a fan.

From the image, it seems like you are artifacting. I think when it happens, its either overheating, or the card is faulty and might give out soon.

I clean my cpu and gfx processor heatsinks monthly and sometimes even take them of and thouroughly clean them.. I know they are getting sufficent air flow, i will get some pics and show you the set up when i get home..
3x120mm in the front blowing air in. a 120mm on the side blowing air directly at the gfx/cpu, one 200m at top blowing hot air out and another 120mm on the back blowing hot air out.. its a antec900 case btw

Alright, here's my specs

Motherboard: MSI K8N NEO
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.21 GHZ
Memory: 2x 512MB Corsair XMS @ 400MHZ
GFX: EVGA NVIDIA 6800gt 256mb
HD: Barracuda 7200

Everything is at BIOS default in terms of performance.

Back
Top Bottom