Fair Use Policy

superman22x

Golden Master
WMG has been muting a lot of videos on youtube... Really starting to get annoying. Metallicas videos were all shortened to less then a minute... Two of my videos were muted because of the background music in the offroading video. My friend made a school project that he uploaded on youtube, got muted...
If its for non-profit, isnt it under fair use policy? What do they want us to do anyway, they arent losing money on youtube, they arent gaining money by muting, if anything, losing.
What do you think about this?

I think its gonna make piracy go through the roof and youtube is gonna die.

Quite honestly I'm waiting for the internet to collapse in on itself.

They want you to buy the CD and listen to it from there. It's really annoying, hasn't happened to me yet, but my videos don't get much views.

I tried to view some fat pizza episodes on YouTube, it was annoying, but there just making it worse because I'm downloading them right now anyway.

Epic fail.

I think the whole muting thing is stupid. Mainly because their reason is because we dont have the rights or permission to use it. That may be true, but then that means majority of the videos would be muted.

I think its better if they put something like
"If you like this song... Download from... (Itunes, Amazon, etc)" instead of just muting it.

Seems like the things that is "popular" is getting very strict.

I think the whole muting thing is stupid. Mainly because their reason is because we dont have the rights or permission to use it. That may be true, but then that means majority of the videos would be muted.

I think its better if they put something like
"If you like this song... Download from... (Itunes, Amazon, etc)" instead of just muting it.

Seems like the things that is "popular" is getting very strict.

It sucks, what if you video taped your childs concert and put it on YouTube but it got banned for having a song on there? Just curious...

But what Teny said is right, the popular ones seem to be getting the ban.

No, its not the popular ones now. They run it past a sound checking thing when you upload them now. My friend tried uploading two videos, and both were muted instantly both times he tried. They check it right away. WMG, they own a ton of music too... Mettallica doesnt have any videos anymore, no one by WMG, its really pissing me off.... Time to move to vimeho or veoh.

i was talking more of popular sites, not just videos on youtube.

Oh, I see. But on youtube, its like free promotion, I don't understand it...

Companies are getting desperate for money I guess.

One of the forums I visit sometimes is therangerstation.com. The owner of the site got a letter in the mail from Ford via the IRS saying to take "Ranger" out of the name because it was using the word in refference to the Ford truck. Or if they wanted to keep it, they could pay $5k. The owner of the site basically said, "If you, Ford, make us take that down, we have a member base of around 20,000, and most likely, a large percentage of them will NOT buy the Ranger again if you try and pull some BS like this on us. We are giving you, and the aftermarket industry a HUGE market. So, if you will continue to make these demands, we can deal with it."

He got a prompt apology from Ford. All they requested was that they dont have ads for the competitors of the Ranger, AKA tacoma.

Back
Top Bottom