Remove the rep system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of the new members you help don't give rep anyway and you can contribute to the forums in the Social Lounge just as much. :rolleyes:

im thinking they should remove negative rep just because if you dont like what someone posted, ignore it. it doesnt mean that they dont give good advice or anything. also, there have been a few occasions where i was -repped but the comment made it clear that it was supposed to be +rep

im thinking they should remove negative rep just because if you dont like what someone posted, ignore it. it doesnt mean that they dont give good advice or anything. also, there have been a few occasions where i was -repped but the comment made it clear that it was supposed to be +rep

I agree for the most part. I neg rep. when people start becoming very annoying. It's just one of those, "Get a clue dude." comments. I'd really like rep to reset and be disabled in the Social Lounge. The purpose of the Social Lounge is to converse with other members and stuff. The purpose of the rep system is to award reputation for those who help out with computer stuff. If you have a girl problem and you want to give rep to someone who helped you with a girl problem go to a girl problem forum. This is a computer forums, there fore your reputation should have to do with helping others and their computer problems. If disabling reputation on the Social Lounge already deletes rep you've gotten from there, then no need to clear it. Otherwise, I say reset. Also, if reputation is enabled/disabled on the general names of forums (ie: General, Technical, etc), then re-arranging them would be a sensible idea.

I voted no. I have seen a lot of help being given even in the Social section, whether it be advice, feedback on other stuff, etc.

I agree for the most part. I neg rep. when people start becoming very annoying. It's just one of those, "Get a clue dude." comments. I'd really like rep to reset and be disabled in the Social Lounge. The purpose of the Social Lounge is to converse with other members and stuff. The purpose of the rep system is to award reputation for those who help out with computer stuff. If you have a girl problem and you want to give rep to someone who helped you with a girl problem go to a girl problem forum. This is a computer forums, there fore your reputation should have to do with helping others and their computer problems. If disabling reputation on the Social Lounge already deletes rep you've gotten from there, then no need to clear it. Otherwise, I say reset. Also, if reputation is enabled/disabled on the general names of forums (ie: General, Technical, etc), then re-arranging them would be a sensible idea.
Why? Because you said so?

Just because this is a computer forum doesn't mean rep has to be strictly problem solving related. When David enabled rep after everyone complained about it for a few months, there were no rules saying that rep was only to be given for certain reasons or whatever. Why does it bother everyone so much that rep is given out 90% of the time in Social Lounge? Intelligent discussions or ideas can be expressed in the Social Lounge just as much as anywhere else and these could be "deserving" of rep. Even if they aren't, why does it matter so much that the system be revamped to be in the computer section only when half the new members:

(a) don't give rep
(b) give rep that has no effect on your score because they just joined

Even if you took out the restrictions on the effects of new members' rep, that would open up new doors for people to create multiple accounts to rep themselves in whatever section (and yes, people here would definitely do that) or get their friends to sign up and make stupid "I need help!" threads so they could get rep.

It's a green square (or a red square in some cases :p). What's the big deal, seriously?

I think the rep is a good measure of who is respected in general. A total noob here can have better advise than me any day of the week. Which is why its good in the social lounge.

Like I said, maybe make thanks available so the thanks can be like for the computer stuff and rep for the social lounge stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom