Horrible Ticking Issue

NismoR34

Solid State Member
Hey, new here, i hope this was the spot to post.

I have had my PC for a year and a half now, bout a month after I bought it, I started to notice a nasty ticking. I was told that it was my HD crapping out, so...I went and "supposedly" bought what i thought was a Whisper drive, because I thought i just had a loud HD as well. well, I installed it and the same ticking was present. Then i was told to look at my power options and make sure hibernate and sleep is off, did that and nothing. THEN i was told it was a Power supply problem...this is where im at now, i don't know where to start from there.

Ticks occur at System load, minutes after system load with about 3 strait minutes of loud ticking, then on and off most of the time after which seem to have worsened over time, to more of a constant tick.

Any ideas?

My PC is NOTHING special, I know haha but here are the basic specs for reference:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce® 6150SE
Memory: 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 dual-channel memory
HD: 320GB SATA II 7200rpm, 8MB cache currently in use & 320GB SATA II Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, 16mb which is the one I mentioned I bought early on.
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
PSU:- 480W Power Supply PSU
- One (1) 14-inch SATA connecter
- One (1) 14-inch ATX power connector (supports both 20-pin and 24-pin configurations)
- One (1) 14-inch 12V P4 ATX power connector (4-pin)
- Two (2) 12-inch large power connectors (4-pin)
- Two (2) 6-inch large power connectors (4-pin)
- One (1) 6-inch Small power connectors (4-pin)
- Quiet/Low-noise Operation
- Supports latest Serial SATA Adapter
- Energy Star Efficiency
- Over Power and Voltage Protection
- Designed by Logisys

Thanks guys

i have narrowed it down to the HD, but for assurance i did what you said and the ticking is strait from the hd, there isn't any wires near fans or anything. im 99.9% sure its coming fromt he HD but the wierd partabout it is that it does the same thing with the other HD

Of course it's from the hard drive since the arm is slapping against the spindle giving you the tick, tic, tick, tic, tick... sound you are hearing. Toast is about to be applied to the drive there.

And you don't open up any hard drive without saying good bye to it. Only professional data recovery services are equipped for that since one little piece of dust or moisture will ruin the drive. Hard drives have to air tight moisture sealed.

That is odd that you have two drives exhibiting the same loud ticking. Seagate drives aren't known for being very loud.

Dogde1970:
Not trying to recover data, i have it all backed and i factory restored a week ago. I purchased a new 320gb seagate HD which i was told was quiet or what they called a "whisper drive". I purchased it cuz i was told that my stock hd is giving out, cuz of the ticking. well ive used it for over a year now and it runs great, i dont freeze up or anything, it just crazy annyoing loud.

Atomic Rooster:
I just plugged my Seagate in and yes it is ticky but not as loud as the Western digital stock HD i normally run, It has been around 8-9 months if not longer since I plugged the seagate in. but non the less, it should be next to silent but yet it still ticks.

Im at a loss

perhaps PSU?

I doubt it's the PSU. You could have just gotten very unlucky and purchased a bad driver. Try returning it for a new one.

The WD simply sounds worn while the new Seagate sounds like a factory defect. Any new drive whisper or otherwise shouldn't be hearing any clicking sounds to start with. The ticking sound is usually the arm slapping around inside.

Okay, Thank you guys for the help, I will explore my Hard drive options once again and just explain the symptoms in a little bit more detailed fashion to the PC professional, whomever that may be when I buy it haha, Thank again I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom