limited to 80gb? no way can it be true

Just be sure you can download and backup the drivers/updates for that model before swapping the drives out. The new drive won't have any recovery partition on it. That will need a totall new install of Windows along with drivers.

yep i plan on gettin and external HD case and coping over the stuff i wonna keep like pic and vids

so in order for those files to stay on the HD when i put the OS back on it i would have to partition the hd right?

When you first get the drive it will be "raw" meaning unpartitioned and unformatted. You will need a partitioning tool to use like the one included in the Windows installer or a good 3rd party tool that can format the drive to NTFS 5 as well as partition it.

ok i have a windows xp disk that iv put on like 15 other pcs i got it from a friend of mine that build/works on people pc in his spare time so i have no idea how many pc there is out there with this one probly 100's

ok so can i put the os on the new HD when its in the external case or do i have to wait till its installed in my pc
do i just plug the usb cable in put the disk in my cd drive? lol thats all i know... the only way i know how is when i boot from the windows disk but thats the only way i know how so is there a walk-threw or anything?

ok so then i cant put any files on it from my old hd on the new one itll after its installed?

i just hope the old HD dusnt flip out and erase everything iv backed up what i can in my email but i have a couple that are to big to back up in email or cd and i dont have a dvd burner so i have no way of backing thos files up if i loss them ill be sad but the world wont end

You will be fine if you do things properly,but just to be sure you can use THIS program to split the large files up,and then burn the pieces to CD's,and then join them up after!

Cant be too cautios ;)

allright sounds great i didnt know there was such a thing

this seems likke a eazy job iv dun harder things so im confident i can do it right..right now the waiting for the parts is the hardest part lol

sumtime down the line i plan on building a desktop i have few old BIG white dell towers (12"w x 30"t) and some compaqs towers they have intel duo 2 cpus i bought 50 of them for $1 each(cop station got new pcs) then id put windows xp on them and sell them for $90-$125 the ones i have left ether have non workin components or are missing things i could probly combine them and make a couple working desktops but i think ill build one itll save me from buyin a case but idk when ill have the budget for that just a plan

thank you for your help

You won't need any other program to break files up from the current hard drive but can look at disk imaging utilities once you get familiar with how to prep drives and recover data.

The first thing to do there is to simply partition and format the new drive for use in order to see Windows installed there. In fact you can leave the old drive in unplugged and in the case until Windows is running on the new drive to see files copied from it.

Some will go out and buy an external usb enclosure while that's something to consider for later use and not needed there for the moment. Simply leaving the drive in the case until the new drive is in and setup will simplify things for you quite a bit. Once done toss the old drive. The unplugging and replugging and finally removing will be the task there.

Back
Top Bottom