Thinking of upgrading some stuff opinons wanted?

My rig is getting slightly dated and I'm thinking of doing some upgrading but I'm completely out of the loop on whats the best buys.

First I'm not concerned about gaming with this build. I'm really just upgrading to something that can encode audio/video faster. So I'm not worried about graphics cards. Current rig spec's can be found in the overclock database in the processor section that I've done nothing with for a while now. I probably should get around to updating it even though I'm not around here much anymore.

After reviewing some of the new equipment out there it looks like my board isn't going to work with any of the latest cpu's and it looks like my ddr2 memory isn't going to work with any of the Core i7 motherboards. I'm double boned I was hoping to get away with just a CPU/Board upgrade but I guess I'm going to need to upgrade the board, cpu and memory for the time being.

Now I've pretty much decided on the Intel I7 920 CPU. Unless the performance gain vs the Q9550 isn't that great. Do any of the Q9550 boards support DDR2 memory? If so would I be shooting myself in the foot by not going with the DDR3 memory? Concerned about possible bottlenecks.

Now if I went with the I7 series I have to purchase DDR3 correct? I couldn't seem to find any DDR2 support boards. Now whats a good value set of DDR3 that has decent overclock potential. I don't want to spend a pile on the memory.

As for a board I'm looking for a decent overclocker. I don't really need SLI or Tri SLI because this rig isn't really for gaming. If I go this route I may as well get one with 6 memory dimm slot support. So whats my best option here?

Also can you confirm SSD support with the board. I don't have one now but might buy one later down the road to speed up load times since there becoming affordable.

And finally but least important. Whats new in the world of cases? My case is loud and not to roomy. At some point I would like to replace this with something a little quieter and cooler. Recommendations? Any Cosmo's owners? Nothing flashy with bright lights.

Budget: Whatever it costs for a decent board/cpu/memory combo.

If A True Folder still posts here please put some input in here man!

IIRC, he has an E6600, EVGA 680i, and an 8800GTS 640MB.

You might want to have a look at the new Phenom IIs, they're priced more competitively than the C2Qs and the 790GX motherboards are great value, plus you won't need to upgrade to DDR3.

C2Qs usually run a native DDR2 800MHz. You can find DDR3 boards however the DDR3 will be bottlenecked. The core i7 runs DDR3 1333Mhz (native). For the memory sticks, I'd suggest you go with corsair. They make quality RAM. As far as a motherboard for OC'ing, I think any will do really. You'll probably reach the power output limit before reaching a board limit. Regardless, I'd go with the Biostar TPower X58 .

IIRC, he has an E6600, EVGA 680i, and an 8800GTS 640MB.

You might want to have a look at the new Phenom IIs, they're priced more competitively than the C2Qs and the 790GX motherboards are great value, plus you won't need to upgrade to DDR3.

I don't mind paying a premium for a better product. I guess upgrading the memory isn't that much more. I can just pick up a cheaper 2X2 set then get something better later.

C2Qs usually run a native DDR2 800MHz. You can find DDR3 boards however the DDR3 will be bottlenecked. The core i7 runs DDR3 1333Mhz (native). For the memory sticks, I'd suggest you go with corsair. They make quality RAM. As far as a motherboard for OC'ing, I think any will do really. You'll probably reach the power output limit before reaching a board limit. Regardless, I'd go with the Biostar TPower X58 .

Okay thanks for confirming that. Is that board you linked me the best overclocking board? I'll have to check there warranty stuff out.

I won't be upgrading for a little bit. I just wanted some idea's. Probably be a month or two before I actually buy any parts.

Back
Top Bottom