New computer, need parts advice!

Zmaz

Solid State Member
Ok, so I'm looking to upgrade from my current system with a single core proc running DDR memory, and I basically wanted to know whether it's worth it to splurge on a mobo and system that use DDR3 memory and/or LGA 1366.

I've done a bit of browsing, and on the Socket 775 front, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4283247&CatId=2406
has caught my eye, can anybody offer feedback on that?

I'm not looking for something top-of-the-line, but I want SLI functionality at 16x for each slot, as well as quad-core support. If anybody knows a solid board that has that and has a good chipset and all, please recommend!

Thanks!

I'd like to overclock, I'm what one would call a hardcore overclocker, I don't mess with memory timings or anything, just a bit of boost on the CPU and video card.

I'd like it to last for a while, I don't need the latest and greatest tech, but I want to be able to run the latest games and do that for a few years at least. As for pricing, I'm hoping to spend maybe $400 on Mobo, CPU and RAM, but I'd be able to spend more if it's needed. What I'm looking for is a solid, up-to-date system that's a good bang for the buck.

Also, another thing I was wondering, what's the sweet spot for price/performance in the Core 2 Quad lineup? I'm thinking the 2.66 Ghz one, any reason to go higher or lower than that?

Thanks!

The sweet spot for the C2Q is the Q6600. Maybe the Q8200. If you can stretch that $400 budget to $600 or so we may be able to get you an i7 920.

Hmm. What's the performance change from the C2Q's to the i7's? IS it significant, or not really?

Furthermore, what's the lowdown on DDR3 RAM? There's a few 775 boards that use DDR3 I know, is it worth it?

Finally, what chipsets should I be looking for? Between Intel or nForce, is there a significant difference? And what are the performance differences between, say, the nForce 750i, 780i, and 790i? Are they significant?

Hmm. What's the performance change from the C2Q's to the i7's? IS it significant, or not really?
You might want to have a look at the Phenom IIs, they are priced better than the C2Qs. You wouldn't have to cough up $150 for DDR3, just $50 for 4GB of 1066.

So, is there no big performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3?

Anybody? I'm still wondering on the chipset and memory questions, plus second opinions on the benefits of i7 vs. Core 2 Quad vs. Phantom II would be much appreciated.

So, is there no big performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3?
For the Core 2s, no there is not, as the FSB will bottleneck as possible increase in bandwidth that DDR3 provides.
For Phenoms, that remains to be seen as the DDR3 boards will be out this month.
For i7s, there are no DDR3 boards anyway so you've got no choice :p
Anybody? I'm still wondering on the chipset and memory questions, plus second opinions on the benefits of i7 vs. Core 2 Quad vs. Phantom II would be much appreciated.
Core i7:
- Highest performing for media editing and multi threaded apps.
- Loses it's advantage in games and isn't much faster, if at all than PII and C2Q.
- Good overclocking performance, although limited to 130W which is annoying.
- DDR3 required which means spending $150 on memory.
- Most expensive of the bunch, X58 boards are $200+

C2Q:
- No DDR3 required, and you can get 4GB of DDR2 1066 for just $50
- Decent all round performance, the Q9550 is around about equal to the Phenom II 940 in games.
- P45 boards are affordable and offer good features.

PII:
- Great overclocking capabilities, 4GHz on air cooling.
- Good performance in games which seems to be Phenom's strong point. Lags behind the i7s for media editing etc.
- excellent DDR2 boards available in the form of the 790GX for $100.

When you'd put PII, i thought you meant Pentium 2. I was like WTF?

Good summary of the 3 major platforms though

Back
Top Bottom